21. The Riddle house

Chapter twenty-one

I awoke the next morning to discover that Tom wasn't by my side. I ran my hand over the bed where he laid last night. It was still warm, 'he must not have left long ago' I thought as I got out of bed and got ready for work.

Diagon Alley was quiet at this time in the morning, only the very early shoppers where about, doing their shopping before the mad rush, that was the lunchtime shoppers.

I headed into the shop full of broomsticks; the little bell above the door had jingled, announcing my arrival.

''Good morning Laylah" A very tired looking Dean greeted me from behind the front counter.

"Morning Dean. Is your brother here yet?" I asked.

"Not for another couple of hours. That's the good thing about owning the store. Get to come and go as you please" Dean gave a small laugh and shook his head.

I smiled at this, "So where do I start?"

Dean came over to me with a cloth and some polish. "All the brooms have to be polished daily, to keep them in good condition"

I looked around the store there would have had to been hundreds of broomsticks "Why can't you just do it by magic?" I asked hopefully.

"Andy believes hard labor is what makes his broomsticks the best quality in the world...No magic...sorry Laylah" Dean gave me an apologetic smile "At least you will have something to do all day. Now start from the ones in the front window and work your way back"

I took the polish and cloth from Dean and went over to the front window; I picked up the fanciest looking broom (and most expensive) in the shop and began to work.

It was 6pm by the time I had finished all the brooms. Andy had came in at 11am and made me redo a few he thought wasn't good enough. He's a nice guy, but a tough boss.

The shop was closing up as I left, I waved goodbye to Dean and Andy then headed back to my room at the Hogs Head. Tom was not home yet, and this annoyed me. I walked back out into Diagon Alley and saw the sign pointing down to Knockturn Alley, on the far brick wall. I took a deep breath and headed down the steep and dark stairs, which lead into the alley. It was a very gloomy place. Not a normal looking person among the witches and wizards that roamed the streets. I headed down the street, trying not look to nervous. Just by the look of me, people could tell I didn't belong, and eyes followed me with every step.

Finally I got to a shop that had a little sign out the front, it read 'Borgin and Burke's' I went inside and looked around, a lot of creepy looking objects were placed all around the shop for sale. As I made my way to the counter I did my best to not touch or bump anything.

"What can I do for you, young lady?" came the voice of creepy, short wizard staring at me from behind the counter.

"Umm, I was here to see Tom" I said in the bravest voice I could muster.

"Where you now?" the man eyed me suspiciously "I'm afraid Tom got off work a few hours ago, you have missed him...can I leave a message for him when he comes to work tomorrow?"

"Um no it's right" I gave him a forced smile then quickly turned around and left.

'Where is he!' I thought angrily. I left Knockturn Alley as quick as I could, without actually running. I didn't want to draw any more attention to myself than I already had. I went back to room and waited for Tom to get back.

Once again it was late in the night before Tom had returned. He walked in the door and saw me sitting on the bed, arms crossed against my chest, looking very pissed.