Chapter 1

Before Rhysand saved me from the life I would have had to live with Tamlin, I sat at this table everyday. After Rhysand had saved me, I was glad I would never have to sit here again. But look where that got me.
As I sit at the table, Lucien stares me down intently. I am still fretting over the thought that he will tell Tamiln that this is—my love for him—all just a big, staged lie. But if he is smart, he will keep his mouth shut, otherwise, he will never see my sister—his mate—ever again. It would do him some good to learn that.
I look at all the dishes of food, lined along the long table. It still bothers me how much of this goes to waste each day, and how the people in my old village would give anything to have just a mouthful of this extravagant food.
The doors to the dining room fly open, the timber clashing against the walls.
"Feyre, how fine you do look this morning." Tamlin says, entering the room, the doors swinging shut behind him. His eyes graze over my dress, the dress he assigned me to wear once we got back to the refurbished court. The long, silk flowing in folds past my waistline, the end of the dress swaying across my knees as I stand to greet him.
"Thank you. It's beautiful. Really." I grimace inwardly. Faking to love him will be harder than I thought.
"Mmm. Yes. Lucien, do you not think the colour brings out her eyes?" I look towards Lucien, who is nodding at Tamlin curtly from his seat. I look down at the dress. The colour is rather spectacular. A pale shade of pink. It must be of the finest making. Running my hand over the soft fabric, someone clears their throat. Perhaps, this might be an interesting game that I will start.