Chapter 8

Nesta

As I watch from the small window in my room, I see how happy both Feyre and Elain are. A pang of sadness went through my chest, I long for someone who will treat me the way Rhysand and Lucien treat my sisters. I have never been good with people, I scare them if before they get to know me.
The door behind opened slowly, Cassian standing in the doorway.
"Hey. How are you going Nesta?"
He must have noticed. Lately he has been trying to spend more time with me, but I'm not sure if it is to do with the fact that he lost his wings and wants company or if it is something else.
"Fine." I deadpan. I'm not in the mood to talk.
"Nesta, you could say fine, but that's not an emotion. What do you really feel?"
He's right.
"Lonely. Rejected. So yea, I'm feeling great right now. How about you?" Sarcasm was evident in my voice. He started to slowly make his way over to me, concern written on his face.
"You know I am always here for you. I know you still don't understand this life, or trust us, but know that I am here for you. And if it is... Uh.... Girl things, just go to Mor. She will never reject you. Amren might not be the best to talk to.... Or Azriel, he doesn't talk, but he will listen.  OK? Please try to understand."
By now he was standing directly in front of me. I did a small nod and turned back to the window. He stepped up beside me. My arms slack at my side, stiffened as I felt fingers brush my own. I looked at Cassian out of the corner of my eye. As if he noticed my gaze, he quickly pulled his hand back. But I grabbed it back, entwining our fingers. For the first time in years, I finally felt happy.
A small smile tugged at my lips.