Part 11

7 years ago continued :-

"There is nothing as mortifying as to fall in love with someone who doesn't share one's sentiments."

Last one and a half hour was the most cheerful I have been in days and the effect of it was still visible in the form of a small smile that was playing at the corner of my lips.

Back in my room, I was in urgent need to relax and what better than a hot shower ... right?
My whole body felt fatigued and I obviously knew the reason behind it was my afternoon session with Sam. Though, now I was a lot saner and composed than before, I was not yet ready to let my thoughts venture back to today's events and the intimate act.

After half an hour of shower, I was feeling a bit energetic and fresh.
Stepping back into my room in order to get dressed, my eyes wandered off to the wall clock and I nearly screamed as soon as my mind registered what time it was showing.
"Oh no! I was going to miss my flight if I didn't hurry up."

Quickly discarding my bath robe and blow drying my hair, I pulled it into a high ponytail. I then proceeded to put on a red skinny jeans, black t-shirt and sneakers. Lastly checking  my reflection in the mirror, I was ready for leaving.

"Kate, you done with the packing and all? Its time to leave for the airport.", came my dad's voice from far off.

"Yeah, I am all set to go.", I shot back my reply, pulling my luggage and essentials out, along with me.

After half an hour drive, we finally arrived at the airport.
Time passed pretty quickly and soon it was time to bid adieu.

"Mom did u hear the announcement? Its time for me to check in.", I said glancing at my mother who looked like she was going to start crying any second and my dad seemed to be teary eyed too. It is always hard to part away from dear ones and this was the first time I was going so far away, without any one of them tagging along, to live on my own. So, the emotions felt was understandable and their worry for me, completely justified.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped itself tightly around me.
"Home will feel incomplete without you, now, Kate. We will miss you a lot.", my mom's voice broke down while saying this.

"O mom! I will miss u all a lot too and I promise to visit you as often and as soon as I can. Just don't cry. It doesn't suit you.", I said overwhelmed with emotions, "It makes you look old.", I added in an attempt to lighten up the atmosphere and it worked.

She swatted my arms playfully and a small smile cracked on her lovely face. She knew I was only teasing her.

Taking out a paper bag, I handed it to her. She looked at me curiously, not knowing what and why I was giving it to her.

"Its for Penny.", I answered her unspoken question. Penelope or Penny was my little sister. She was currently away on her school summer camp. And thats why, I didn't get a chance to say her goodbye. So, this was a small gift for her, from my side.

"I will call you as soon as my flight will land at Los Angeles airport.", I offered them further assurance.

Giving both my mom and dad a hug and bidding them goodbye, I then made my way to the check-in counter.

****************************
Mid-air in flight (9:30 pm) :-

"They must have left for their honeymoon, by now." Pain erupted in my chest at the thought.

"Why do my mind always have to drift off to him? Why does this have to be so painful and difficult? When will I be able to forget him and move on? When will it stop hurting?", numerous such questions evaded my mind, which I knew no answer of.

Images of them making love to each other soon clouded my mind ... making my heart burn with several emotions like jealousy, hurt, agony, pain and what not.

But I was tired of trying and sick of crying. I know I have been smiling but inside I was dying.
This suffering had to end. I can't continue living like this. I was destroying myself and I cannot afford to allow that to happen anymore. He had already done enough damage. My once cheery life, now, seemed gloomy. I was unknowingly forcing myself towards an endless pit of darkness.
Luckily, nobody noticed at home or maybe they didn't get any chance to voice out their doubts regarding my demeanour because answering them would have been the most difficult thing. It would have caused them unnecessary burden and tension and nothing good would have come out of that. Plus, there was a risk that they might have confronted Dan. So, it was safe to deal with this alone and not tell anyone about it.

Today's event once again started to play in my head. Shame poured over, in torrents. Lately, I have not been myself. I was not the one stand type. This was not me ... the real Kate seemed to have gotten lost somewhere. I took the easiest way out, in an attempt to escape from the bitter truth of his marriage. I was a coward. Instead of accepting and dealing with the harsh truth of his marriage to someone else, I gave myself away into the willing arms of a stranger, to run away from reality ... my reality.

Now, that he is finally married, I was supposed to get over him and move on. I needed a fresh start and what better than a new place with new people and most importantly no Dan ...

I was now going to focus on my career and chase my dreams and achieve them and try not to let his thoughts plague my mind and rule my actions.

And soon, with millions of thoughts, decisions and promises reeling inside my head, I found myself drifting to sleep and welcoming my new life.

Author's Note :-

I just wanted to say that this is the last chapter of Kate's past and next chapter onwards will showcase her present life.

I hope you all liked this chapter.
Please vote and comment. It would mean a lot. ♡♡

And this chapter is much longer than the previous ones, in fact this one is the longest chapter till now. It has more than 1000 words. Hope the length satisfies you all. ;)