Part 16

I thought I knew everything about love and heartbreak but you proved me wrong again and again ...
Everyday you ignited something new in me, a passion unrecognisable and an ache unfamiliar...

"Oh gosh! someone put on the blinds please", I turned over on my stomach to avoid the bright sunlight. I had too much of a drink last night to care about putting on the blinds back.

"Stop moving Kate", a sleepy voice spoke beside me. Beth was also here, I had totally forgotten about her. "Ugh ... sorry", I apologised getting up from the bed. It felt like someone was repeatedly hammering on my skull. "That's why you should drink wisely because the consequences you face the other day is pretty bad just like this splitting headache.", I thought to myself.

I looked up at the clock and my heart literally stopped. It was "10:30 am" and my office started at 9:30am. Great, just great. Way to make a first impression Kate. The new boss was going to arrive by 10 am to address all the employees and being his secretary I needed to be there on time.

Dejected by my carelessness, I sat back on the bed, contemplating whether I should go to office today or take a leave. But then again I didn't have any good excuse for not turning in. Plus, I haven't even called in for a leave. So, they must have been expecting me. Finally deciding to go, I searched for my mobile phone to make a phone call in order to know about the situation there. Not finding it anywhere, I realised it must still be in my wallet since last night. Finally, I was able to find it but it was switched off, probably, due to battery drainage. Plugging it to charger, I switched it on but to my dismay a not so pleasant but unsurprisingly expected discovery was made. A fairly huge number of missed calls, messages and voicemails were left for me.

Sighing, I read a few and then called my ex-boss who bombarded me with questions regarding my whereabouts and asked me to report immediately when I told him I was well. I didn't tell him about about me getting drunk and forgetting about the meeting though. That would have been embarrassing and well, against my responsible and workaholic image.

I took the much needed medicines and made my way for a quick, refreshing shower. I got ready in an ironed black pencil skirt, white shirt and a matching blazer and blow dried my hair and straightened it. I applied a thin coat of eyeliner to enhance my eyes and blood red lipstick on my lips. I wore my favourite perfume and wrist watch, after all today was an important day. Despite the unprofessional behaviour on my part, I decided to make an effort to look my professional best. I finally put on a pair of black stilettoes to complete the look. I left a note for Beth knowing well that she wouldn't have gone to office today.

By 12 o'clock, I was at my office, heading towards my cabin. Within 10 minutes of my arrival, I was informed that the new CEO wanted to meet his new secretary which meant he wanted to meet me.

And all of a sudden I felt nervous, damn nervous and I didn't know why. I tried taking deep breaths in an attempt to soothe my nerves. I made my way to his cabin preparing myself for the much anticipated meeting. The blinds were drawn so I couldn't make out anything from outside. I knocked on the door twice and made my way in. His cabin was huge to say the least.

"Welcome Miss Kate. Thank you for finally gracing me with your honourable presence.", his firm, deep voice was dripping with sarcasm. "Yeah, I was informed that you wanted to speak to me.", I replied overlooking his sarcastic tone. His back was facing me so, I couldn't see his face but still I was able to make out a few things like he had midnight black hair and that he was stinking rich from the very expensive wrist watch he was wearing and the equally expensive pen that was trapped between his two long fingers. "So Miss Kate do you have a habit of being late or today is a special day?", he asked. "No, sir. Its my first time ever being late. You can ask Mr. Khurana if you want.", I replied calmly. His voice sounded strangely familiar and so, when he finally turned around in his seat to face me, I knew why. The look and expression on his face when I saw who he was, mirrored mine. I don't know why he was so shocked to see me, like he didn't expect me to be his secretary but me being shocked to see him was an expected reaction because I guess, anyone in my place would have been equally surprised to see him because seating there in front of me was the person I neither expected nor wanted to see. My new boss was none other than the infamous billionaire playboy 'Mr. Ashton Collins' in all his glory, looking way more breathtaking than his pics on numerous magazine covers.
Seeing him in person, I was now able to understand why he was given the title of world's sexiest man. He had the most amazing oceanic, deep blue orbs that could mesmerise anyone with just one look, a sharp jaw and a pair of sensual lips but all that didn't matter to me. He was a renowned playboy with no respect for women and that was enough reason for me to dislike him. I broke out of the reverie embarrassed and trained my eyes somewhere else. "Are you done checking me out?", he broke the awkward silence with another rude remark. "Arrogant bastard", I scowled mentally.
"So, may I know the reason why you were not present for the meeting today?", he asked.
"Umm ... Actually my friend was ill. So, I had to take her to the doctor. That's why.", I lied smoothly hoping he wouldn't be able to catch it. "Are you sure Miss Kate that this is the real reason?", he continued his interrogation. His question puzzled me. There was no possible way he knew that I was lying. "What kind of question is this? Of course, I am sure.", I replied confidently sticking to my excuse. "But unfortunately, I can't agree with you on this Miss Kate.", he replied seriously. "What do you mean by that?", I asked feeling nervous all over again. "Maybe you are still hungover Miss Kate as you had way too many drinks at the club last night than you were probably capable of handling.", he said quirking his perfect eyebrow. I watched him bewildered not understanding how he got this information. Only Beth knew but she couldn't have possibly told him and no one from office was there at the club. That meant ...
"Well, I know this because I was there too.", he confirmed my doubt. "From your expression I am guessing you don't remember anything from last night, right?", he asked mockingly. "No, I do remember everything but it seems to me that you were too busy watching me the whole time and that's how you know so much.", I replied in the same mocking tone. He was getting on my nerves now. "Oh no! Don't think so highly of yourself. I know this because you were way too drunk to stand steady on your legs last night and that's how you fell into my arms and ruined my expensive suit.", he said. Now, this is what you call beyond humiliating. My face felt hot from embarrassment. "Ok! I will get you another suit. I hope that's fine with you.", I snapped back trying to end the discussion. "Oh! No need Miss Kate. Forget about my suit. But I have another task that needs your attention.", he informed me. I gave him a questioning look feeling confused which task he was referring to. "You see that pile of folders there. Take them to your cabin. I have already sent you a mail stating what you need to do with them.", he answered pointing out the cabinet where the folders were kept. I nodded understandingly. I took out the said folders and showed it to him for confirmation. "Yeah, these only. Now, you can go back to your cabin. You have wasted enough of my time today. ", he emphasised on the last line. I opened my mouth to retort back but he cut me off. "And one more thing before you leave Miss Kate, I need those reports done by today itself. So, don't even think of leaving the office premises before handing me the reports.", he added. I stormed off before he could taunt me some more.

Author's Note:-

Hi,
Well, now you all know who the new boss is?
So, what do you think of him?

Please vote and share your views. ♡♡