Chapter 9

I felt like updating so let's pretend it's Monday, okay?

Group: Louise, Dan and Phil.

Phil: Sorry I wasn't in today :(

Louise: Are you okay?

Phil: Yeah, my mum just let me stay home because I was exhausted.

Louise: Lucky. My mum forces me to go to school, exhausted or not.

Phil: I have to go now though. My mum wants me to help her make dinner D:

Dan: See you later?

Phil: Probably not. I think I am grounded.

Louise: How did you, of all people, get grounded?

Phil: I really have to go now

Louise: Fine then, bye

-

"Dan, dinner's ready!" Dan's mum yelled, making Dan groan slightly. Dan wandered downstairs and into the kitchen, where his whole family were sitting around the dinner table. He didn't say anything as he sat down in the only free seat.

"How was your day?" His dad asked, eating a forkful of the pasta.

"It was alright.." Dan mumbled, pushing his food around on his plate.

"Did anyone bother you?" His mum questioned.

"Chris pushed me but then someone got him to stop for me."

"Was this that girl you like?"

"No.. Just a friend."

"Did the girl speak to you today? Do you think she likes you?" Dan couldn't say anything. He just stood up, his chair making a dramatically loud scraping noise.

"He's not a girl." He blurted out before walking out of the kitchen. He slammed the front door as he walked out of the house.

-

Phil was just finishing his dinner when there was a knock at the door. His mum stood up and opened the front door and surprisingly, Phil heard her say, "Dan!" That made him put his cutlery down, his eyebrows creased in thought.

Phil couldn't help but wonder why Dan was at his house until he heard, "Is Phil here? I need to talk to him." Dan's voice sounded so broken. Phil could automatically tell that Dan had tears in his eyes by the way his voice cracked.

"Phil!" His mum called, making Phil approach the door.

"Mum, could you leave us alone?" Phil said as soon as he saw that Dan was, in fact, crying. She nodded without questioning anything. "Do you want to go for a walk and talk or would you prefer if we stayed here?"

"Walk." Dan choked out so Phil nodded. He quickly put on his shoes and tied the laces before walking out of the door with Dan behind him.

"Are you okay? Wait, no, that's a stupid question. You're obviously not." Dan just nodded, sniffing quietly. "What happened?"

"Phil, I'm gay." Dan expected Phil to act even the smallest bit surprised but he just nodded. "I kind of just told my family."

"And..?"

"I walked out after saying it. I don't know if they'll react negatively.."

"Can I hug you?" Phil whispered and Dan nodded. Phil step forward and wrapped his arms protectively around Dan's shaking body. Dan buried his head into Phil's shoulder as started to loudly sob.

"I've never had a friend like you before, Phil." Dan mumbled, his voice kind of muffled because he was leaning on Phil's shoulder. "And I am so thankful. I like you so much."

"I like you too, Dan. You're one of my bestest friends."

"No, you don't understand!" Dan pushed Phil back as tears plummeted down his cheeks at an abnormal speed. "I like like you." Dan's facial expression made Phil's stomach flip. If someone just tore his heart out of his chest and shattered it into tiny pieces, it would hurt so much less than seeing Dan's face of distress.

Dan let out a loud wail before sprinting down the street, not wanting to see Phil's face after his confession.

Phil watched him run in awe. He found himself frozen to the spot, unable to move, unable to speak, unable to think. Dan liked him? Phil obviously liked him too, it was obvious because of the way he wished about holding Dan's hand again, dreamed about seeing his smile and contemplated about how Dan's lips would feel on his own. Phil was aware that he was supposed to run after his friend but he couldn't: he feet were glued to the floor.

Shock. That was all he felt: shock. He didn't think that Dan would ever like him so it surprised him that he did. He had no idea how he should react or what he should do.

-

Dan's tears were cold against his face as he sprinted down the street. He didn't know where he was going: he obviously couldn't go back home. His running was brought to a halt when his phone started to vibrate inside his jeans' pocket. He slipped his device out of his pocket and put it against his ear, not bothering to check who was calling.

"Dan! You're okay!" It was his mum. She didn't sound disappointed or anything, just worried. "Honey, why did you run out of the house like that?"

"I was scared." Dan's voice cracked, making his mum wince. It was clear that Dan was crying by the way his voice trembled and he kept sniffing.

"Of what?"

"The way you would react to me being gay."

"Honey, come home. We need to talk about this as a family. Just know, none of us are against you being gay."

"Okay.. I'm on my way." Dan didn't bother running anymore: he was too tired and breathless. He just trudged his way down the familiar roads to get back to house.

-

"Dan!" Dan's mum shouted as soon as her son walked in the door. She ran forward and wrapped her arms around the tall boy and Dan didn't stop her- her hugs were warm and made him feel safe. "Your father is in the living room." Dan pulled back from the hug and nodded, following his mum as she walked into the next room.

His dad was sitting on one of the sofas, watching as his wife and son walked into the room. "Dan.. are you gay?" He immediately asked.. to which Dan nodded. "Why didn't you tell us sooner? We love you and we'll stick by you no matter what."

"I was afraid that you would act negatively." Dan whispered, bringing his hand up to his face to wipe away some of the excess tears.

"We love you." His dad repeated before standing up and opening his arms. Dan softly smiled as he walked into the embrace. His mum soon joined them.

At least his family didn't hate him.. but now there was the problem with Phil.

I don't know if I'll be able to update next Monday but I hopefully I will *crosses fingers*