Chapter 10

Louise arrived at school early the next day. She wandered over to the bench where she met Dan and Phil and sat down. She stared into space for a while until her phone dinged with a message from someone. She took it out of her pocket to see that Phil had messaged her.

Phil: I need to talk to you.

Louise: Why?

Phil: It's complicated. Meet me by my locker instead of at the bench. Dan can't know that we're talking.

Louise: Okay..

Louise then got up, threw her bag over her shoulder and walked inside the school.

She leaned against Phil's locker, her arms folded. Phil walked up to her about five minutes later, almost breathless for some reason. "What's up?" Louise immediately questioned.

"Dan likes me." Phil whispered, still not entirely believing it himself.

"What... as in he has a crush on you?" Louise gasped, unsure as to why Phil was speaking to her about it.

"Yeah and I don't know what to do about it." Louise let out a tiny noise resembling a laugh.

"You're coming to me for advice?" She laughed again but once she saw the look of distress on Phil's face, she decided that she needed to be more serious. "Well, do you like him back?" Phil didn't respond, he stayed silent. Louise knew the answer to the question though as soon as she noticed the pink spreading across Phil's cheeks.

"I do." Phil murmured after a moment of silence. His cheeks were bright pink by then and Louise found the sight very cute.

"It's obvious what you should do then."

"What's that?"

"Tell him how you feel."

-

Dan walked into school, expecting to see Louise and Phil on the bench. They weren't there. Phil was always there before him and, mostly, Louise was too. He was there for around ten minutes, just daydreaming and thinking about everything that was happening with him and Phil, when he heard someone say his name.

He looked up and, standing in front of him, was none other than his best friend, Phil.

"I like you too." Phil whispered, making Dan gasp and stand up.

"Are you lying to me because you feel bad?" Dan asked, his heart beating rapidly inside his chest. Phil didn't answer the question, he just leant forward and pressed his lips against Dan's. Finally.

Dan jolted back from the kiss, his eyes wide. "Did you just-" He started but soon cut himself off because of his inability to form coherent words.

"I did just." Phil mumbled, he was complete awe with his sudden boldness.

The bell then rang, meaning they had to go to class.

-

They had maths first on that particular day. In that class, Dan sat beside Phil and Louise was beside another girl called Emma. They were learning about trigonometry which Phil found fairly easy. They were doing a worksheet on Pythagoras' theorem and Phil was speeding ahead.

It took him about fifteen minutes to realise that Dan hadn't even started the sheet and was just staring into space. "Dan? Why haven't you started yet?" He questioned in a low voice, hoping that the teacher wouldn't notice that he was talking.

"I don't get it."

"It's pretty easy. All you have to do is square root the sum of the squares of these two numbers to get how long this side is, okay?"

"Okay." Dan pressed his pen into the paper for a moment before putting it back down. "Phil," He whispered, poking Phil's side. "Can I borrow your calculator?" Phil didn't say anything, he just handed Dan the calculator.

Dan hated maths so much.

-

Dan, Phil and Louise had music after maths and Dan wasn't in a group. He was on his own which Phil didn't think was fair so he invited Dan to join his and Louise's group, to which he agreed.

Their group consisted of: Louise (the bass guitarist), Phil (the drummer), Troye (the singer), Luke (the guitarist) and now Dan (the pianist).

The group were showing Dan their song so that he could make up a piano piece.

Phil hit his drumsticks together in a rhythm before Luke and Louise joined in. Louise was playing the riff and Luke was playing the chords. They played perfectly in time with each other, creating an amazing piece of music. However, it got even more amazing as soon as Troye started to sing.

"We are running so fast and we never look back and whatever I lack, you make up. We make a really good team though not everyone sees we got this crazy chemistry between us.."

"Wow." Dan mumbled, generally in shock because of how good it was. He wasn't quite sure if he could meet the standards of the music. His piano playing was mediocre compared to their instruments.

Somehow, the whole group worked together to help Dan find an appropriately sounding sequence of chords to play for the song.