STRIKING A CONVERSATION

His hair laid there untamed and messy. His mushy thick eyebrows complimented his deep set grey eyes with thick eyelashes. His nose was sharp as if moulded by a great artist. Perfectly shaped soft and supple lips. My eyes lingered a little longer there before drifting downwards.

First three buttons of his pink shirt was unbuttoned which gave a good view of his firm chest. He was well built and muscular. His sleeves were folded upwards manifesting his 'oh so' strong arms underneath. Suddenly my heart was beating against my ribcage speedily.

Our eyes met and for a brief moment none of us said nothing. 'If I'll remain silent any longer it would be awkward' I thought. I gave him a very hasty smile and turned my head. I started perspiring, especially my hands became a lot sweaty. This is not new to me. It always happens when I'm scared or when panic strikes me. Currently I was completely freaked out. I mean who wouldn't be,if you are standing beside the smartest guy of the party, perhaps the only smart guy.

For the first time in my life I wanted to be more beautiful, more glamorous and interesting so he could notice me. So that I won't feel uncomfortable around him. More confident, so that I won't find any problem striking a conversation with this hottie. But here I was looking ugly  in my worst office clothes.

Just when I was mentally uttering some disgraceful words against me, he made himself stand in front of me, facing me and leaning his back on the railings.
'Hi I'm Zakhir.' he said stretching his hands toward me.

'Hello' I croaked stretching my hand forward, obviously after wiping of the sweat from the back of my hand on the hem of my shirt.

' That's it?' he asked raising his eyebrows

'Sorry?'

'Is that how you introduce yourself to a stranger. Especially after checking me out a few moments ago' he chuckled.

My hand was still in his clasp. It felt warm.

'Excuse me! Don't be so pretentious.  I wasn't exactly checking you out' I debated.

'Ouch!! Touché.. That hurts' he enacted by  punching his chest with his left hand . His right hand still graced mine.

I tugged a smile. My eyes wandered towards our entwined hands. His hold became tight.

' So are you gonna tell me your name or should I Christen you with another one'.

'In that case you should do the honours. Give it a try. I'm intrigued to know my new name' I replied trying to sound confident.

' Well, the pleasure is all mine. Now let's see.' His eyes darted towards my legs,then to my hips, followed by my chest. Finally it rested on my face. If I wasn't blinded by his handsome looks I would have ended up kicking his shin for his transparent gawking. I felt twitchy.

'Pari. That's your new name' he announced casually.

My heart skipped a beat. I couldn't feel my stomach. What was he doing to me? Pari, an angel. His words hit my already weak heart very hard. My brain ceased functioning.

'Did you like your new name?'

'Thank you' I heard myself say. No one hitherto have given me such a beautiful nickname. I wasn't even sure if I heard him right but I was drowning in that word. I just couldn't think straight.

'So you guys are here. I was looking all over the place for you both' a familiar voice called out and instantly our mere and only physical touch broke. My hands felt cold now.
We looked up to see David proceeding towards us. He scanned both of us and grinned.

'What are you guys doing here?'

'Just chit chatting with your guest who apparently was bored' replied Zakhir eyeing me.

'No, that's so not true David.' I argued glaring at Zakhir.

' So is my party outrageously mundane Aaradya?' pouted David.

'No no no David. Please don't be upset. It's just that I don't fit here.' I consoled David putting an arm around him.

'But that doesn't prove the fact that this soirée is interesting. Does it?' marked Zakhir.
I smacked him on his arm as hard as I could. I gave him shut-the-fuck-up-or-i'll-kill-you glare followed which he gave me a smirk and placed his index finger on his lips.
I quickly glanced at David and gave him my best smile. He smiled back shaking his head. His very smile eased me off the pain that I was feeling musing over the fact that I might have hurted him

'Now that both of you have met, I won't squander our time introducing you both' rendering a brief look at both of us.

'Your friend here in question doesn't quite know to strike a conversation so I didn't had the honor to ken her' Zakhir snorted.

'In that case let me acquaint you both. This is Zakhir, my workmate and an intimate pal who also happens to be my college mate.'

'This beautiful lady is my bestest buddy and my boon companion excluding the coition part and her name is..'

' Isn't it time for you to cut your cake and let us sing those birthday songs for you ' I interjected.

I wasn't going to give Zakhir the satisfaction so easily. He might have given me the most beauteous name, however that is not going to deter me from the determination to grant him some hardship in knowing my real identity.Zakhir gave me a smug smile and nodded at David as if he wasn't at all effected by this sudden intervention.

' Lets go then.'David agreed and took my arm. Zakhir followed us inside. As we paved our way through the crazy party animals someone whispered in my ear,
'so it's Aaradya huh?'
I turned and found Zakhir winking at me. Before I could reply David pulled me near him. For a moment I wasn't aware of my surrounding. I was numb. The ear that brushed against his lips some nanoseconds before was on fire. I never felt this way before ever. Advent of these burning sensations within were new to me.

This shouldn't happen to me now. Right? I argued with myself. This was only our first meeting but still I could feel he have abridged the distance between our hearts. I shuddered this emotion and averted my contemplation towards the cake cutting. No scratch that. It was more of a murder. The cake which once was smothered in velvet layer of chocolate, looked divine and would have tasted the same if the slicing wouldn't have transformed into brutal rending. The cake has been slaughtered and in the most cruel manner.

I tried to distance myself from the act of brutality that was  happening in my vicinity  so as to avoid any splattering of the shreds on my clothes.
Just then someone held my wrist. I looked sideways to see Zakhir's dark grey eyes on me.
This can't happen. The thoughts which I'm keen on burying deep is bumping on me. I need to calm down. This isn't anything. I reassured myself.

'I need to go home' was all I managed to speak. And then before he could utter a word I left the party unclasping my hand from his grasp.