A New Chapter

Heading back to work after a sabbatical week was quite tormenting. Not to mention the sympathetic glances I got which penetrated into my eyes, bringing back all the memories, that I so wanted to miscarry.

It's said that when you mingle with people your mental pain subsides slowly. But I think it's the other way round. The truth is that when your eyes clashes with the sympathetic faces around you, it rushes back the exact plight you are trying to get away from and it intensifies the already excruciating pain in return. The so called sympathy corrodes the wall  that you had built up so meticulously to emulate yourself as a strong being in front of the phony and intrigued human race.

I wonder why can't people just act normal as if it's just another day at work and make it more easy for me. Why do they have to bombard me with akin uncomfortable questions which does more harm to you rather then anything.

As I scurried over to my desk to avoid any more condolences and repetitions of answers, I bumped onto something hard.

"What the hell?" I groaned massaging my forehead.

"Excuse me. That's what I should ask you" someone growled.

I  looked over to see a glowering face, eyes throwing me daggers. It  was an overly built man,in tight grey suit and tie. His attire was like a corporate manager which shouted business. Although he was somewhat smart with his sharp features and  physique reminiscent of a wrestler, there was something about him that didn't make me feel good.

" Madam are you blind or what? Or have your eyes gone for a vacation?"he prowled.

I remained silent because I knew it was my mistake. The whole office  freezed with eyes glued on the little drama transpiring in front of them. 'Great, just when I wanted this day to be normal and to go unnoticed, see what happens. Seems like God is busy working on some other important project' I thought

"I..I'm so...sor..sorry" I stuttered staring at the floor, refusing to meet his intimidating eyes.
When I didn't get any response I looked at him expectantly.  However he was scanning my entire body top to bottom through his God gifted big chocolate brown scanner also known as eyes.

"You are?"

"Aa.. Aaradhya Rathore" I replied kicking myself mentally for stuttering again.

" If you are over with your stuttering, I want you in my cabin within 5min" he announced and with that  he turned and retreated, with sharp clacking noise following his every step.

I was left dumbstruck. 'What the hell was that' I thought. How does he have so much of authority over me? And who the hell is he? My forehead were graced with creases. I was so submerged in these questions that when an unexpected answer followed from behind me, I was startled.

"He's our new boss" Sanya murmured beside my ear.

"What?" I bawled and turned to meet her weary eyes.

"Sshh!!"she shushed me and dragged me to her desk.  After making me sit she hushed "I know this is too much information to take now. So long story cut short, Mr.Vinay has handed over this office to his younger brother Mr. Karthik due to some personal issues. If the rumors are to be believed then, it seems that Mr. Vinay is not in his best of his health and has left to Australia for treatment. So Mr karthik took over his place. In a nutshell, he's your new boss and you his PA" she said in one breath.

I gasped. It was true. This was too much for me to take in. This was diarrhea of information. I rested my forehead into the folds of my palm. My eyes on the brink of shedding tears. What's happening with me? First my father, now Mr. Vinay who was a father figure to me. Everything gone altogether.

"Are you OK" Sanya interjected my thoughts placing her hand in my shoulder.

I nodded staring down at my hands which was entwined into each other.  That's when Zakhir's words started screaming inside my head about how nothing in this world held permanency. Everything and everyone have to leave after a certain point of time. The point when their purpose in your life is accomplished. May be Vinay's role was over in my life I contemplated.

"By the way if you haven't noticed yet, let me enlighten you that our new boss got a sexy ass with a handsome face" Sanya chimed trying to lighten my mood.

I chuckled and managed to look at her who was smiling at me. The concern she had for me was disguised behind that smile of hers.

"And yes one more thing, he's sort of punctual, so if you wanna impress him, then I suggest you get your  sexy arse over there as soon as possible" she cooed.

"Yeah. Thanks Sanya" I managed to say holding her hand.

"Anytime baby"

With that I headed towards the lair where my new intimidating boss awaited me

With each step towards the office , my heart paced violently. It was as if I was going to attend an interview. When I reached the door and my trembling hand grabbed the familiar cold doorknob, I let out a breath, I didn't realize i was holding.
"Yes Aaradhya you can do it. You are Lt. Col. Arjun Rathore's daughter. You are a fighter" I whispered to myself. The words of encouragement endowed by my dad. And with that I  entered his office after a swift knock , plastering a smile on my face.