Family

"Why were you so late?" squealed my mom as she opened the main door for me.
Now don't get me wrong. I love my mom and I can do or go to any extent to make her happy, but one thing I can't tolerate about her is that shrilling voice which shrews from her at times especially when she panics. Sometimes I wonder if she does even know how to whisper. Whenever I quip her on this, she accounts me guilty for her high pitch sound. She says, if she didn't had to correct the unruly and disobedient me, then her voice would have sounded like a nightingale. Now that's something to be pondered on.

'Caught up with some work mom' I replied dreading the next bunch of dialogues going to be ejaculated by my dear mother. I went past her and disposed myself onto the couch.

"Aaru beta, you know it's not safe for women to be out of their homes so late. It's 9:30pm now. What if something happens to you. See whatever job you handle, I don't care. Just tell your boss that you need to reach home maximum by 8.  In fact 8pm is also too late. If your boss doesn't comply just give me his number. I'll talk to him and induce some brain into him. What kind of time is this for a lady to come back from work?" cried my mom.

'So the melodrama continues' I thought.

"Mom, I'm not a school or a kindergarten kid. You can't just call them up and ask them to leave me early. I'm a grown up now and I'm doing a job. Besides, I was with my friend who needed some help."

"May I know which friend?"

"Some friend..you don't know him"

"So it's a him. Huh?"

"Yes mom. Does that make a difference?"

"Is he smart? "

Oh very smart.

"Oh wait are you having an affair with him?"

Oh how I wish.

"Aaradhya!! I'm asking you something."

"Mom please. He's just a friend." I stated getting up from the couch.

Before she could bombard me with more of her unending queries,  I darted the staircase to get to my room.

My thoughts were enough to distract me. I didn't wanted more unearthly questions to get on my nerve.

I hungered for solitude in order to gather my thoughts and to retrospect on the events that have transpired between me and him.

I quickly took a bath then changed into my PJs and headed downstairs for dinner.

As I took my usual seat beside dad, he smiled at me.

"Hello beta" he said folding the newspaper and keeping it beside him.

"Hii Dad"

"So how was your day?"

"Not bad"

I furrowed my eyebrows as I saw what was served to me on my plate. It was bitter gourd. I hated it. And my dearest mom knew it. But I couldn't react because I didn't wanted my mom to get hurt.

My expression quickly somersaulted when I saw my favorite kadai paneer flaming hot kept across me.

I eyed mom and she winked at me. I love her. That wink meant 'this is your compensation for eating that tasteless yet healthy bitter gourd.

Over the years our family had woven such a bond that telepathic communication was enough for us.

I jumped at the bowl of kadai paneer, and quickly took a double roti. As I planted the piece of double roti dipped in kadai paneer, I was lost in its taste. I savoured the enticing flavour before chewing onto the rest of my meal.

"It's yummy mom" I moaned.

My mom smiled. Dad chuckled at my craving and excitement.

"No rice for you" scolded my mom as my dad was caught sneaking meager amount of rice from the bowl onto his plate.

"Your cholesterol level is already sky rocketing and now you want rice at dinner" mom continued her reprimanding.

My dad pouted and exhibited a begging face.

"Jaanu, everything will be under control until you are there for me. We must eat and feast like a king till we die. Don't know what future holds for us tomorrow" said Dad.

'Here we go. The philosophy class starts' I thought. Philosophy was my dad's most loving subject. And he would leave no stone unturned to make his point using the classical lines extracted from his inanimate and unusual philosophers.

"C'mon dad! Mom's right. You just can't eat whatever you want now. You need to keep a control over your food"

"See. Even Aaradhya agrees" my mom chimed in.

"Fine" my dad sighed. " But a little bit. Just to satisfy my appetite. Please" my dad requested.
Who could deny that puppy face. Atleast not the two women who loved him immensely. The more we wanted him to live, the more we wanted him to see happy.

I nodded at my mom. My mom sighed and took the bowl and served more then the scanty amount on dad's plate. I snickered at the gesture.

My dad's face lit up instantly and he gorged into it as if it was his last supper.

Our family was akin to this bitter gourd and kadai paneer. Even though there were bitter tasteless moments but it were the delicious, lovely moments like these that substituted it.