16. Game

The cave was dank. That was the first thing Mynera noticed about it. But when they got the fire going, made from sticks and stones they'd found within, she noticed that not only was it dank but the cave floor was also covered in bat droppings. A large colony of bats loomed over their heads.

Madeline looked ready to pass out. The fire blazed prettily against the walls, illuminating the huge expanse of the cave's interior, casting dancing shadows across the walls. Mynera wondered if that only made the queen feel more uneasy.

"They're everywhere," Madeline whispered. She was sitting quite close to Mynera, on a dusty, droppings free spot on the floor. Mynera didn't think Madeline cared that she was hiding behind her. Even if she did, it was clear her fear overrode her hatred for Mynera. The queen was more focused on the bats over her head to care about anything else, her eyes so wide they looked ready to pop right out of her skull.

"You can sit over there, Madeline," Saenar said, adding more sticks to the fire. He and Hale had brought in two fallen logs from outside. He pointed to the log that was against the wall, farthest away from the bats and their smelly droppings.

Madeline inched her way closer and closer to the fire, bringing Mynera with her as a shield. Mynera wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. She didn't like Madeline any more than Madeline like her, and she certainly did not care to be used as a shield. But the fear in Madeline's eyes, and the constant way she looked around at any sudden thought, kept Mynera from saying anything. Instead, she allowed Madeline to pull her over to the log. 

The queen's hands were shaking. That was enough to make Mynera shove all her annoyance for her to the side.

Saenar dropped a few more sticks into the fire. He glanced up at Hale, who was sitting on the opposite log watching the interaction between Mynera and Madeline.

"We need to go catch our dinner," he told the blond man. 

Hale looked at him in confusion before it dawned on him. "Dinner, yes. Yes, we haven't eaten all day." He got to his feet. The orange fire seemed to make him glow. "Are we going to leave the ladies in here?"

"No!" Madeline screeched before shrinking back behind Mynera when her outburst caused the bats to stir. "You can't leave me here with her alone!"

"You don't seem to mind using me as your shield," Mynera muttered dryly.

"Madeline, we need to go get some food," Saenar said calmly. "We have not eaten since morn."

"Then take her with you." Madeline pushed Mynera away roughly away from her. Mynera whirled back to her, surprised. The queen looked as if she'd never worked a day in all her twenty-six years, but there had been a lot of strength in that push.

Madeline quickly grabbed Hale's hand and pulled him towards her. "Take Mynera with you," she ordered. "That way we ladies will both get protection." She lifted her fearful eyes to the ceiling again.

Mynera knew she should be irritated by Madeline's actions, but she couldn't. Madeline had latched on to Hale's chest,  still shaking at the sight of the bats above them. Hale obviously didn't know what to do with himself, his hands held awkwardly out in front of him. 

He met Mynera's gaze, eyes screaming for help. Mynera held her hands up, shaking her head. She had no plans to exchang places with him. Catching wild rabbits in the dead of night was something she could do. Comforting the fearful queen was something she definitely could not. She pitied Hale. But the pity was short-lived.

"She's right," Mynera said quickly, turning to face the prince who still sat stoking the fire. "You said you were going to protect us, Saenar. You can't protect us by leaving us in here with those ..." she pointed above her, "bats."