18. Lord Ingstad

Waves of shock ran through Mynera with such force that she could only stand there with her jaw hanging. She slid her wide eyes from side to side, the muffled sound instantly becoming recognized now that they were in the courtyard. But, for the life of her, she couldn't believe her eyes.

It was easy to spot Lord Ingstad. He was the only dressed in clear finery, his loud laughter mixing with the large barking all around the courtyard. And he was on the ground...being licked by a large, black dog. There were more dogs prancing and racing aroudn the wide courtyard, dirt flyig up from under their feet. Some were eating from bowls in the corner of the courtyard, others were drinking from the fountains. Those who slept sought quiet corners while the others wreacked havoc all around them, their excited barking echoing in the air around them. 

"Are you sure we're at the right place?" Hale asked, his own confusion clear in his voice.

Saenar nodded. "I'm sure."

There was a hint of humour in his voice and Mynera looked up at him in surprise. Saenar was staring at Lord Ingstad with eyes she couldn't decipher. They were different from the look he had in his eyes since they left the capital. They were lighter, less tense. The shadows of stress that had been clouding his features lifted bit by bit and Mynera could only stare at him. 

It should have been a welcomed sight, to know how much trust he was already putting in the man before them. But Mynera could not chase away that uneasy feeling no matter how much she tried. 

"Why are there dogs everywhere?" Madeline asked in disgust. She lifted her cloak out of the way as a dog barreled past her.

"As I said before," Saenar said simply. "Lord Ingstad always has guests."

At that moment, one of the dogs bounded up to them, barking loudly. It's shaggy face was contorted with hostility, and Madeline took two steps back. But it was clear the dog would do nothing but bark at them. She looked up to see that the lord of the manor had finally noticed their presence.

Lord Ingstad rolled over, his brown hair sticking up in tufts. "Who's there?"

Saenar stepped forward, bypassing the dog with ease. "Uncle Ingstad. We beg your pardon for this interruption but--"

"Hold on one second." Lord Ingstad scrambled to his feet. Mynera approached cautiously watching as he attempts to get up, his large belly clearly weighing him down. But, after a few more seconds of awkward struggling, he stood, brushing himself off and smoothing back his receding hairline. He hobbled forward, paving a path through the dogs.

He came to a stop in front of Saenar. He was a good head shorter than him and so, he peered up at Saenar's face, eyes narrowing. "Saenar? Prince Saenar, is that you?"

"Yes, Uncle."

"It is, you isn't?" Lord Ingstad eyes went wide, letting out a mirthless laugh of disbelief. He had an unlined face, with chubby cheeks and eyes that disappeared when he talked. "Well, this is surprise! What are you doing in these parts? Came to visit your old man's friend, did you?" Then a thought occured to him, making his mouth fall open. "Wait ... the king!"

Mynera glanced at Saenar, but the mention of his father didn't change his expression. Even so, she didn't miss the way his hand curled into a fist. She tucked her own hands behind her, resisting the urge to take his.

"No, that isn't right," Lord Ingstad said, with a frown. "The attack! Are you okay, my boy? I heard what happened to the capital. The common folks have been saying that the king is dead but...I did't want to believe it. Those old buggers didn't even sound sorry about it too. These are perilous times, indeed. How did you make it here all by yourself? And who are these people with you?"