45. Dinner and an Attack

Mynera walked inside. Sitting at the very head of the long shining table, was the man she despised, the back of the chair rising so far above his head, he became like a midget. She walked forward, gracing her lips with a small smile, her skirts gathered in her hands. The table was adorned with platters of roasted ducks and pheasants, bread, fruits, and different broths. Too much food for just the two of them of course, but King Gavin was a man who liked to impress. And his queen needed to be thoroughly impressed for tonight.

He rose to his feet to meet her halfway. Of course, he dismissed Barron and the man went to stand outside the doors where he could hear nothing. King Gavin slid his hand over Mynera's. "That dress looks absolutely gorgeous on you, my queen," he whispered at her ear.

"You have wonderful taste, Your Majesty."

"Yes," he agreed, steering her to the seat next to his. "Sit. I had the kitchen prepare the best meal. I assure you, it will appeal to your tastes."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. It does indeed look wonderful." After a moment, she added, "And so do you, Your Majesty."

He looked quite the opposite. His robes were too big, his crown looked as if it would slide off his head at any moment. His wide grin hid too many secrets and his hand upon hers was sending a chill down her spine. Mynera smiled nonetheless before gently sliding her hand from beneath his and picking up her spoon.

"May I ask why you decided we have this meal together, Your Majesty?"

"Please, Mynera, when it is just us you may call me by my give name. We are not strangers to each other. Call me Gavin."

"Gavin." She smiled. "Well, Gavin, why did you decide we have this meal?"

"I wanted some time alone with you, my dear. A meal by ourselves is just the first step in courting, is it not?"

"I am being courted, Your Majesty?"

"Gavin," he corrected. "And yes, Mynera. I thought that much was obvious. If I had my way I would have made you my queen from the moment you walked through those doors but I suppose taking the proper route has it advantages."

Mynera refused to look at him when he said so, so she sipped her wine. "And what's that?"

"I will get to know you more, my dear. Now, let's see. I know your middle name, I know about your childhood, I know your favourite flower, I know you love to read. What else is there you haven't told me?"

"I would rather know more about you, Gavin." The name made her want to retch. She set her chalice down and turned to him, giving him her full attention. "I feel as if I've spoken about myself this entire time and I know next to nothing about you. Tell me, what are your interests."

"I have no other interests but you, my dear."

"Then answer me this. Have you always been so ambitious?"

"Whatever do you mean, my dear?" King Gavin quirked a questioning brow at her as he chewed on his meat.

"I mean, taking over the capital - and the Nations - is no small feat. You must have been planning this for quite some time now."

Mynera's eyes darted to him when his fork clanged loudly on his plate. Wiping his mouth, the king was no longer smiling. He threw the napkin aside and took a deep gulp of his wine. "I'd rather not speak of such matters with you."

She refused to let the topic be thrown aside. Mynera feigned casualness, acting indifferent, even as she grew eager to hear his answer. "Two years on the run, Your Majesty, has hardened me to harsher topics. I find myself quite curious to hear you reply."