6. A COMPRESSED ESCAPE

15 YEARS AGO

Alexander Luthor's Perspective

"Andrea, I don't know if you should do that..."

"Relax. It works every time. You just have to give it a minute..." I sighed again and watched her as she messed with the lock some more, moving around the bobby pin she had been using. She was on one knee, trying to unlock the front door to the house I lived in as I stood behind her and observed.

It was locked as my father forgot to unlock it for me like he always did. He didn't like having me in the house before earlier in the evening, as he said I was a distraction from his work. I had previously told her that I could wait it out, but her being her, she had to at least try to improvise and help.

"I think I can break this lock..."

"Please don't do that..." I was worried. Usually I did wait outside everyday, and I didn't want to get myself or Andrea in trouble. One of the biggest things I'd get in trouble for was waking him up. But in my defense he's usually gone until noon.

"I really think I've almost got it...I should be at least close..." she grunted a little before gasping. I raised an eyebrow and took a small step closer.

"I'm guessing you got it?" she nodded a little. She slowly turned the pin and opened the door. She turned to me and smiled, folding her arms proudly.

"Yup. I knew I could do it." she went to step inside yet was interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Who's there?" I gasped and quickly acted. I grabbed her by her waist and pulled her out of the doorway before slamming the door shut.

"What the--"

"We have to get out of here." I began to fast walk away from the house. She quickly followed.

"Was that not your house?"

"I wish it wasn't..." I sighed and shook my head. "That was my father."

"Yeah. I can see that--"

"ALEXANDER!" I gasped again as my father opened the door and stepped out. I turned to Andrea.

"Run." she gasped also as I grabbed onto her hand and began to run. She ran with me.

"Where are we going?"

"I don't know, I just know that we have to go!"

"ALEXANDER!" my father called for me again.

"Oh god, run faster." I panted a little as she took her hand away from mine and began to run faster. After a few moments of running I began to laugh a little. I had never felt so free before. Never in my life had I ever felt so invisible, like nothing could hurt me as long as I kept her by my side. Not to mention I had never gotten out of trouble with my dad before and it was the best feeling ever. I felt untouchable. I felt brave. She at that very moment gave me another feeling I had never felt before: bravery.

"Do you think we lost him?" she panted, slowing down as we were now two or three blocks away from the house.

"Yeah, hopefully. I think we did..." I panted also as I stopped and put my hands on my hips. I looked to the ground then to her again. "I'm...sorry I put you through so much danger... I didn't know he was going to react like that..."

"It's okay. I get in trouble a lot." she laughed and smiled a little. I smiled also and stared at her. "On the bright side, I think I know where we can go..." she began to walk again. I followed quickly and kept close to her.