7. NO MORE LIES

6 MONTHS BEFORE SUPERMAN'S ARRIVAL, PRESENT TIME

Lex's Perspective

I sighed to myself, staring down at the small white box in my hand as I stood in front of the door. I had a real plan this time. A plan that she couldn't refuse complying with. I knocked on the door and waited patiently. She opened the door reasonably quickly and smiled. As she saw me her smile faded.

"What are you doing here?" I smiled.

"I have a gift for you." she tried to close the door on me yet I had my foot in the doorway, preventing her from slamming the door in my face. She raised an eyebrow.

"Look. What ever you have I don't want it. Leave me be."

"You don't know what I have."

"Yes well I know I don't want it..." I sighed and held out the box towards her. She looked at the box and then to me.

"Well. You don't have to keep it but I would like to see you open it..."

"Will you leave me alone if I do open it?" I nodded and smiled. I clasped my hands together.

"If that is what you would like. Should I come in?"

"No. I'll open the box right here..." she replied, taking the box from me and opening it. She had a look of boredom on her face but then as she opened it, her eyes went wide.

"I tried to find the original pair, as I kept them that day but I couldn't find where I left them. These are better quality than the old ones anyway..." she gasped and looked at me. It was a pair of pearl earrings, almost identical to the ones she had as a child.

"Y-you remembered?" I smiled as she spoke.

"No Andrea, I never forgot. I know you said you never wanted to see them again but I knew you'd change your mind..." she opened her mouth to speak yet nothing came out of her mouth. She looked extremely surprised.

"I...I..."

"May I come in?" I tilted my head a little and smiled kindly. I moved my foot out of the door way and stared at her. I gasped a little as she closed the door anyways. I sighed and pressed my forehead against the door. "Andrea please." there was no response. Lucky for me, I was prepared. I sighed again and pulled a bobby pin out of my pocket. "You taught me this yourself." I whispered.

Andrea's Perspective

I closed the door and locked it behind me. I leaned against the door and slowly sank to the ground. I pulled my knees up and stared at the box. I was amazed yet horrified by the sight of the gift. I was amazed by the fact that he had paid so much detail to me yet horrified by the memories it brought me. The thoughts of my father, dying in front of me in a hospital bed.

When I said I never wanted to see these earrings ever again I meant it. But I had to admit the gesture made me feel loved. I sighed and stood. I put the box on my nightstand and allowed my body to fall onto the bed. I could hear him knock again. "Go away!" I repeated.

"I only knocked as a courtesy." I gasped and turned towards him as he walked in. My eyes widened.

"I locked the door."

"Oh Andrea." he tilted his head and held up a bobby pin. "You know, I think I can break that lock..." he teased before smiling widely and walking towards me. I got up out of the bed and stood. He stopped, noticing how serious I was being. His smile faded as I thought to myself. I went from sadness, to confusion. Then I went to anger.

"Andrea--"

"You know what? What the hell Lex?" I began to walk towards him.

"Andrea, I've let it slide a few times but don't do that. Don't call me Lex. You call me Alex--" he tried to interrupt me, putting up his index finger as if he was trying to instruct me. I balled my fists and came closer towards him.