9. "I THOUGHT I WARNED YOU"

15 YEARS AGO

Alexander's Perspective

I began to pant a little more as I ran faster. I was deep into the woods now, and no one was chasing me (or at least I thought) yet I felt scared and unsafe. Bad thoughts kept racing through my head.

What if Andrea doesn't find me before the police do? What if I was about to get sent away and what if I couldn't get myself out of this one?

Then, I ran faster as the worst thought came to me.

What if I had to stay, and my father found out what I had done?

The worst part was that I knew the answer to that question. He'd break my bones and kill me.

I gasped loudly and screamed as I tripped on a rock. I fell down and began to roll down the hill as I kept screaming. I couldn't stop, everything was going so quickly as my vision was blurred. I could barely breathe. Then, I couldn't breathe as I could feel myself fall into a deep pond.

I tried to swim and pull myself up yet my body felt weak. I felt something cold, like maybe a plant or a old rope wrap itself around my ankle and prevent me from moving upward. I kept panicking as my eyes were wide open. I looked down and desperately tried to pull my ankle away yet it was no use. I was weak, alone, and hopeless. I began to wonder if there was any point in trying.

Eventually I could feel myself quit trying, my arms that were once flailing now simply floating. I slowly kept trying to kick yet it was no use. I was stuck. I was drowning not just in water but in my own regret and self pity. I closed my eyes and accepted it. At least I would die where I found my first and only friendship. I opened my mouth and let out my last exhale.

Or at least, it was the last exhale of innocence I had left in me.

"WAKE UP YOU IDIOT, WAKE UP!" I opened my eyes slowly as I could feel someone pull me out of the water and press down on my stomach repeatedly. My vision was blurry, yet I smiled a little as I began to recognize who it was who saved me. I began to stare into her green eyes as she looked at me, her face upside down.

"Andrea..." I mumbled as she pushed down on my stomach again.

"WAKE UP!" she yelled as my eyes went wide. I quickly leaned up and coughed up water. I breathed in and out quickly before I then laid back down and panted. She sat on her knees as I laid in her lap. She grabbed onto my cheeks and stared down at me.

"What were you thinking. I told you to never go in here alone." I smiled again.

"I knew you'd find me."

"You almost got yourself killed idiot! That pond is twelve feet deep! If it wasn't for me opening a window and running away, you would have been dead." she growled before slapping me. I let out a small 'ow' and held my cheek. Then I kept panting and looked up at her.

"I'm not the only one who made some mistakes too okay?" she bit her lip, then exhaled slowly. She nodded. I spoke again. "You broke our promise. You told on me, you told that teacher everything about my father... Everything I told you not to tell anyone you told. How... How could you?" she sighed and brushed some hair behind her ear. I felt myself relax a little more as she ran her hands along my cheeks.

"You can't keep living in that house Alexander. One of these days he'll kill you and you know that. I'd rather you be far away and alive than here and dead..." I shook my head slowly.

"I'd rather be dead next to you than living without you..." I admitted, whispering loud enough for her to hear. She frowned. I could hear thunder and lightning in distance. It was going to rain. I didn't mind as long as I could stay with her. I closed my eyes slowly. She gasped.

"You're...bleeding. Alex you're bleeding a lot." I smiled in relief.

"I don't care. Can I ask you for a favor?" I opened my eyes. She arched a eyebrow.

"Depends." she bit down on bottom lip a little more. "What is it--"

"Kiss me." her eyes widened as she began to blush.

"Wha--why? We're just friends..."

"No. We're best friends."

"Yes. But that still means friends..." I sighed and put my hand on her cheek.

"I don't care. I don't want to be just friends and you know that. You always knew that. Now you might never see me again. Kiss me, or at least let me kiss you." I exhaled slowly as I could feel the raindrops start to hit. I smiled a little and stared at her lips as she began to lean down, coming closer and closer towards me. After a few moments she closed her eyes and I closed mine. Her soft lips delicately hit mine as I quickly kissed her. She pulled away quickly, but then kissed me again. We stayed there for a few moments like that.

When she pulled away it was raining full on. She chuckled and held out her hand. She caught a raindrop and smiled a little.

"Would you look at that... It's raining." I smiled at her and laughed a little with her. Somehow I felt happy again. Like everything would be alright. Like everything that had happened before that kiss meant nothing.

If only, If only that happiness lasted a little bit longer.