8: The One with the Moments of Awkward Silence

My phone was quacking. The twins exchanged that look again before turning to me who was busy pretending to be studying.

   "Are you sure you're not going to answer?" Arin asked.

   "That's the eleventh time since we got back from the airport"

   I ignored them, highlighting my notes with my strawberry-scented highlighter.

   Allen sighed but Arin got up and took the phone from the nightstand. She then walked over to me.

   I glanced up.

   "Answer it" She insisted, pushing the phone towards me.

   I shook my head vigorously, "No!" 

   "C'mon, you have to. We both know you're going to, eventually, so just save yourself the time and confront them about it"

   "I don't even know who's calling. Only Arthur and Alfred have my number!"

   "Even more the reason to answer" She held the phone to my nose.

   I groaned in defeat and snatched it from her hand, "Fine. But if I get killed after seven days, it's on you"

   She smiled and returned to her seat next to her brother.

   Taking a deep breath, I sucked on my lip and pressed the green icon before putting it to your ear. "Name's phone"

   "Oh, thank God, you answered. Please, I—

   "Gotcha!" I said in a perky voice, scaring Arin and Allen, "I'm not here at the moment so please leave a message after the beep" I gulped.

   "Beep"

   I threw the phone on the mattress and put both hands on my face.

   Arin flipped the pages of her book, "That went well"

   "'Beep'?" Allen looked at you "What the Hell was that?"

   I sighed, "It was Emil. I couldn't—I can't, I just can't"

   "Okay" Arin sits down next to you on the bed, "How about we take a break from studying and go out for a stroll or something, get some fresh air. Get your mind off this"

   "Excellent way of procrastinating" Allen said, but agreed; standing up and stretching his arms upward "We could use the exercise"

   I leaned on Arin "Yeah... okay. But let's go get Oatmeal from Alfred"

   "Why's Oatmeal with him?"

   "You're telling me you haven't noticed that the dog has been missing since we got back?" Allen raised an eyebrow.

   I laughed "Alfred offered to take care of him while we studied" The three of us left the bedroom and I hooked my arms into each of theirs as we walk down the hall.

We eventually reached Alfred's room, which took a lot of getting lost and asking for directions from various people from the staff, and knock on the door.

   "Hey if things don't work out with you and Lukas or Arthur, do you think you can set me up with either of them?" Arin asked as the three of us waited.

   Allen and I shook our heads at her.

   "So not the big picture right now"

   "What?" She shrugged.