Finding Your Voice

"Come on Briar! You want to be part of our triple threat programme, you have to sing! I need to hear your voice before allowing you to move onto it!" Allain shouts at Briar in the middle of their A studio, only the two of them standing there.
"Right now? I can't because....because....because I need to practice my solo! Yeah! I have a big competition coming up soon, I can't mess up!" Briar protests, clearly not wanting to sing for Allain, even though she knows what a career boost being a triple threat is.
"Briar, you know that I enter CDC's dancers in competitions, therefore I know that you don't have a competition! So, you don't need to practice! Now, you need to sing for me!"
Darn it, she thinks to herself whilst scratching the back of her neck and gulping nervously. Why can't I bring myself to do this? Of course, with Briar being a confident dancer, you'd think that singing for someone would be no trouble! But, she decides not to sing for Allain, who is now rather annoyed.
"Is that the time? I've got to run! See you tomorrow!" She exclaims whilst grabbing her dance bag and sprinting out of studio A, leaving Allain both confused and frustrated.
"It's only singing! Why can't I do it?" She mumbles to herself as she walks down the empty corridors alone, hoping someone will appear.
     In only a matter of seconds, her wish becomes true. A pair of arms wrap around her from behind, making her giggle slightly. She leans her head back to see her amazing boyfriend looking at her, smiling; Myles.
     "Hey," he says, letting go to walk beside her and gently putting one arm around her, "how did the triple threat audition go? Has he let you into the programme?"
Ugh, she thinks, why do we have to talk about this? I may as well tell him the truth, considering that he'll tickle it out of me anyway.
     "Actually, I didn't....didn't.....sing." I reply, with a quiet tone, making him suddenly come to a halt.
     "What do you mean you didn't sing?" He asks, looking as confused as ever. I don't want to go into all this stuff with him! He probably won't even understand, considering he's part of a band, and has never felt like how I did in a long time!
     "I mean I didn't sing!"
     "But why?"
     "Because I can't, okay?"
     "You 'can't'? Briar of course you can! Everyone can sing!"
     "Myles, I didn't mean it like that."
     "Then how did you mean it?"
     "I....I was too scared to."
     My head hangs down in shame. I can't believe I'm the girlfriend of Myles, an incredible singer who can sing anywhere at anytime, and I can't even get a single note out without getting nervous or backing out!
     "Oh, Bri! Come here!"
     He embraces me into a hug, letting my head rest on his shoulder. Aw, he does understand! Why did I think that he wouldn't? Myles will know how to fix this! I hope.... she thinks to herself.
"So," he says, pulling away and looking at her, deadly serious, "you need a little confidence booster?"
"Basically," she replies, "yeah. But, I can't do anything to solve this! I just can't sing in front of other people!"
"Okay, the first step is to relax. Calm down. Take a deep breathe, and tell me what exactly you can't do but without raising your voice."
She does exactly as he says; taking a deep breathe, and letting it out. Somehow, it does seem to calm her! But, not completely. Of course, she's got Myles thinking; Briar's an amazing dancer! Why won't she sing in front of people? If she can dance in front of hundreds of people, why can't she sing in front of one?
     Being the star of the studio, Myles has no trouble with confidence; well, occasionally. What he cannot do is sing in front of thousands of people, that's a lot! At least five hundred he can handle, but slowly he's mentally preparing himself for a big concert coming up with The Revel Boys.
Making the best of this bad situation, he keeps repeating the thoughts in his head 'If she can dance in front of hundreds of people, why can't she sing in front of one?', but he can't seem to understand it. However, he pushes that aside and decides to help his girlfriend, properly; not just teach her how to calm down.
"Feel better?" He asks, hoping for her to answer with a 'yes'.
Almost as if it's opposite day, Briar shakes her head and lets out a small, "Nope."
She sighs in annoyance with herself, which Myles sees; pushing him harder to help her the best he can. Knowing her confidence won't be boosted overnight, he begins to think how long this may take. A few days? A few weeks? A month? How much time does Briar have?
"How much time do you have until you have to audition again?" He asks.
"Hmm," she thinks, not actually knowing the answer, "I don't know. I left before I could find out anymore information about it."
"I can ask Allain if you want."
"No, that's okay. Besides, he'll probably tell Isaac to tell me that 'if I don't do it tomorrow, I'll be cut', something like that."
"That's probably true, but now, you're coming with me."
"Why?"
"Because I'm going to help you sing, by tomorrow."
With those last two words being spoken, Myles' teeth grind together, hoping that be isn't giving her false hope.
"Thank you, Myles. You're the best!" Briar exclaims, hugging him, before they walk out of Canadian Dance Company hand in hand.

*************

"Okay, repeat after me; hmmmm" Myles hums, trying to get Briar copy his note as they sit in his bedroom, Briar dreading tomorrow.
"I can't!" She exclaims, getting angry at herself.
"Okay, calm down, Bri. You'll get this!"
"I won't! I never do!"
"What are you talking about? Of course you will, even if it takes all night."
     "Okay," she says taking a deep breath, "can we try that again?"
     "Of course. Now, repeat after me, 'hmmm'."
     "Hmmm."
     "You did it, Bri!"
     "I did it!" She exclaims, hugging him.
     "That's step one complete!"
     "What's step two?"
     "Singing actual words. What's your favourite song?"
     "Oh I don't know! Probably....Whistle While You Work It."
     "Well why don't you sing the chorus of that then?"
     "Okay...."
     After a while of Myles getting Briar to sing words, she finally does; and he couldn't be more proud! She finally did it! Now, she's ready for her audition, all thanks to Myles.

************
Briar steps into studio A confidentiality, knowing that she can do this. Allain soon appears out of his office, a slightly annoyed- but hopeful look on his face as he doesn't know what's going to happen.
     "Are you going to sing today? Of will I have to cut you from this programme?"
     "I'm going to sing, no need to cut me."
     "Well then, off you go."

*************

"Myles!" Briar squeals as she runs out of studio A, excitement fulfilling her entire body.
    Quickly, her boyfriend appears in front of her, picking her up and smiling because she's smiling. He gently kisses her forehead and asks, "Good news I assume?"
    "Yes! I made it in! And it's all thanks to you! Thank you so much Myles! I love you." She squeals, kissing him on the lips gently.
     Soon enough they pull away, and Myles whispers, "I love you too."

~

Sorry if there are any mistakes! Hope you all liked this one 💕☺️