XI. Gaea's Curse

I froze for a few seconds before putting my bag down and slowly taking a seat. I looked around the cave.

     "A mansion would've been better." I mumbled.

    "How's that?" Hecate asked if she'd read my mind.

     "Oh, never mind." I said in surprise.

     When Beth, sat down, the image of the cave began to shimmer. Suddenly, we were now back at the Camp Half-Blood arena. There were no campers around. I quickly stood up and pulled out Lightning. I scanned the area again, this time searching for any cyclopes.

     "Don't fret, child of Zeus," Hecate said, "We aren't at the real camp. This is just a place I created with my magic to look just like Camp Half-Blood."

     I calmed down and let go of Lightning who reappeared as necklace again. I sat back down and looked around again. It actually did look exactly the same as Camp Half-Blood.

     "Why are we here?" Beth asked.

     "I'm here only to guard you," Hecate said, "But to train you as well. With the war going on, you are to be trained in order to protect yourselves. The cyclopes are stronger than we imagined. The ancient cyclopes have joined with the cyclopes born from Poseidon."

     "But that last one I fought wasn't as hard to take down." I said.

     "That's because he was just a pawn," Hecate explained, "There are ones at least ten times stronger than the one you faced."

      I frowned. Great, stronger enemies. Just what I needed.

     She waved her hand and the chairs disappeared. My reflexes reacted and I placed my right hand on the ground before I fell. Then I stood back up. Beth was already up, too.

     "Now, for the next few days, you two will be sparring until one of you wins." Hecate said, "Begin."

     Then, Beth's sword appeared in her hands. She grinned at me and the charged. I managed to take out Lightning just in time as she brought down he sword. I gathered strength and pushed her back.

     "I've been waiting to get you get you back since our last match." she said.

     "What's that have to do with this?" I asked.

     As if in response, she charged. I decided to stop talking and fight instead.

     I was able to block all her attacks. When she swung her sword, I ducked and tripped her. As I expected, she quickly regained her balance at incredible speed. I turned my sword that the hilt pointed toward the sky and then rose up, aiming at her chin.

     I caught her off guard and the hilt hit her and she stumbled back. I then charged at her and then disarmed her. Her sword flew high in the air and I caught. I then put one sword behind her neck and the other at the throat, making sure she couldn't escape.

     "Good, good." Hecate said. Then she looked at Beth. "That curse you got from Gaea is really holding your strength back. Here, let's see if I can do something about that." 

     She waved her fingers at Beth. Suddenly, Beth began to glow blue. When the light faded, Beth had an evil grin on her face.

     "There we go, now let the real match began." Hecate said as she snapped her fingers.

     The sword in my left hand disappeared and reappeared in Beth's hand. She then jumped, the grin still on her face. I lowered my sword and swung it around.