XII. You Mean We're Fighting . . .

I woke  up to a person screaming. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. I immediately recognized that Beth was missing. I looked below us and found her falling through the clouds.

     "Help!" she yelled.

      I said nothing and jumped off Speedy.

     Thanks to the winds, I dropped faster. Not sure if that was good or bad, but I had to save Beth. 

     The wind was strangely . . . well, not calm. It seemed to be furious at something or someone. I felt like I was flying through a pile of needles, while usual it feels smooth and nice.

     I shook he thought from my mind and went down faster. As I got closer to Beth, the ground seemed to get closer as well.

     Finally, I managed to grab her hand. I summoned the winds and held us in midair. I knew that flying back Speedy would be hopeless, so I decided to just land on the ground and call him.

     I descended us slowly toward the ground. We placed our feet on the round and I allowed the winds to return to whatever they were doing before I summoned them.

     "Are you okay?" I asked Beth.

     As I got a closer look at her, I realized that she was bleeding on her right cheek from a cut. I immediately assumed that the winds had done this to her. I knew something was definitely wrong here.

     Then Beth saw that she bleeding. She smiled and took something from her pocket. It was square and looked like it was made with flour with white power on top.

     She saw me staring at it and said, "I guess you don't know what this is. Well, this is called ambrosia. It is also food for the gods. If you eat it, you can be healed." 

     Then she took bites out of it until it was gone. Suddenly, her wound on her cheek began to slowly close up. After a few seconds, you couldn't believe it was ever there. Only the blood remained.

     I stood there wide eyed at what I just saw. 

     When I recovered, I remembered about calling Speedy. I turned toward the direction he had flown off to and before I could whistle, a voice stopped me.

     "Hello there," said a voice.

     I turned around to find a woman standing before us. She was wearing a black robe with matching boots. She had on dark sunglasses and a cloth covering her hair.

     "What are you two doing all alone here?" she asked in a gentle voice.

     "Hi," I said, "We just lost our way and wandered into this place."

     She made a worried look. "That's not good. You need a good place to stay." she pointed at her right. "Why don't you come over and I'll treat you?"

     "No thank you-" Beth began.

     "That will be great, thank you." I interrupted.

     Beth looked at me with an angry expression.

     What are you doing? she mouthed.

     I smiled and shrugged.

     "Follow me," said the woman.

     She turned around and began walking toward where she pointed. I followed. I saw Beth sigh and then follow me.

     I thought that it was going to take five-eight minutes tops to arrive to where she was taking us. Unfortunately, it took way longer.