XIII. Surrounded

Beth didn't have to nod in order for me to know that I was right. Her scared face expression explained it all. I was scared too.

     "Come out," said Medusa. "Let's take the picture. Let's not waste time."

     What was I supposed to do?

     Right then, it hit me. The cyclopes! If we kept wasting time, they would catch up to us. One alone was enough to scare me, even if it was blind. But an army!? I'll surely die, no question about it.

     "We need to get out of here," I whispered to Beth.

     She nodded and we slowly began scooting to the opposite side of where Medusa. When we reached the edge, I looked at the glass to see if Medusa was anywhere behind us. Unfortunately, there she stood. Her hair had been replaced by snakes. At least her eyes still looked normal, but I knew that one look and I'll be spending the rest my days as a statue.

     I snapped out of daydreaming about my death and focused back on reality. We needed a way to get out here without getting turned into statues. Unluckily for me, nothing came up.

     I looked at Beth to see if she had any ideas, but I could tell she had nothing too. Then I thought of fighting her while closing my eyes, but I knew that would be an epic fail. 

     "Why not use the glass to fight her?" I asked Beth.

     She thought about it. "Well, that probably would work, but-"

     I ducked behind another row of bushes and looked at the glass. Medusa was still standing there, waiting for us to step from the row so she could turn us into stone.

     "So you already found out about me," Medusa said. "You're smarter than I thought. It's usually too late when other figure out who I really am. Some don't even find out at all."

     "I owe you for this one, Beth," I said under my breath.

     I began slowly walking to the end of the row I was in. When I was about five feet from the edge, I stopped and took a deep breath.

     "Can you just let us go?" I asked. "We have a really important place to be."

     "You think I dn't know," Medusa said. "I got special orders from Mother Earth herself to take care of you demigods."

     "Mother Earth?" I repeated.

     "I think she means Gaea," I heard Beth shout.

     "That's right," Medusa said. "Mother Earth wishes to be risen. Many of her other children like the cyclopes and Titans are rising as we speak. Mother Earth has been saving up her energy for over five decades, and now she thinks it's the right time to take back her world.

     "With the our new secret weapon, the hybrid cyclopes, we will take over the world. But first, we must take care of the puny Olympians gods. The titans are already fighting the Olympians in a war that the gods can't win. Soon, very soon. Mother Earth will be risen!"

     I hope she doesn't realize that she just practically told us the plan of how Gaea was going to take over the world, I thought.

     "And what's in it for you?" I asked.

     "Mother Earth has promised me rule by her side when she conquers the world!" she said in a confident voice, if that's possible.

     I burst out laughing. I laughed so hard I fell to the ground while clutching my stomach. When I had successfully restrained myself from laughing anymore, I stood up and wiped the tears that were now rolling down my cheeks.