Chapter One

Chapter One

*Note: This is part of a series! Read "Inferi" first!

There was a time, a long time ago granted, but a time nonetheless when I had everything.

I had two loving parents who doted heavily on me, as well as my twin brother. We were their pride and joy. My mother was the first woman, created from man's ribcage. A beautiful woman with strawberry blonde hair that fell to her waist in thick waves, eyes as blue as the sky God created for us. My father, though not my birth father, had dark hair that he tied back with flower stems or vines. His eyes matched my mother's, my own, and my twin's.

We were happy, even after God had kicked my parents out of the Garden of Eden, we still managed to pick up the pieces and begin life anew. It was a beautiful life. We did our part. We planted food and shared our crops. We hunted animals and used every bit of them so as not to waste the creatures that God had so graciously given us.

"Wonderful," God had breathed to me, His breath the cool summer wind on my face, "You have done so well, Abel. I'm proud of you. How quickly you've grown to become man." The praise had lifted my spirits that day. I bathed in it, relieved that I had finally done something right for once.

"Did you hear Him say those things? He was so happy for me." I told Cain later that day. Cain had only grunted and I was confused as to why he wasn't as happy for me as God was. Cain was always so nice to me. He doted on me more than our parents did. He was my best  friend, my brother, and even my lover. No one thought it was dirty either. There were still too few of us to actually seek out and make new families at the time, and God just wanted us to live in peace and be happy. At that time, there was no such thing as sin, really. Mistakes? Yes. Sins? No.

For a while anyway.

"Are you mad at me?" I remembered asking Cain, coming to sit beside him as he sat beside a large boulder we'd dug up to use for the table to smash herbs into powder and convert to oils. At that time, Cain's hair was longer and very straight, naturally so. He tied it back like our father did, save for his bangs that fell across his face, his blue eyes narrowed in anger as he viciously beat at a stem of mint.

"You looked very happy when God complimented you." Cain said, his teeth gritted. I still didn't understand his anger, even today. Was he mad that God had barely even paid him any mind today? That wasn't fair, I remembered thinking. God had always paid attention to Cain up until today. For once, God spoke to me and gave me praise. Why wasn't Cain happy for me? I had become a man, just like him. Even though we were the same age, it was still different. He treated me like I was the younger one.

"Of course I did," I muttered, "He actually said I did something good. Was it not good?"

"It was good." Cain answered briefly. I was still confused, so I sat beside my brother and watched him as he beat the herbs, grinding them up and pouring them into a small round bowl made of stone. He set it there and stared at it for a moment before he turned to look at me with piercing blue eyes that made my cock stand up. His eyes became hooded with hunger and he leaned in, capturing my lips. A moan escaped my lips as he molded his lips to mind, dominating me. I was okay with that, after all, he was my brother.

Cain was very good to me, even when we made love, he never did anything on purpose to hurt me. His nips were playful and gentle, his hands tender and careful. He never insulted me or cursed me, but whispered how much he loved me, that only he was allowed to have me.

And I was okay with that.

Because he was my brother, my best friend, and my lover.

"You're beautiful." Cain had whispered to me that night as he put his arm around me, hugging me tight to his chest. It was a possessive gesture that I found so unlike him, but it made me smile as I hugged his arm to my chest. I had drifted on and off through sleep. I couldn't stop the nagging at the back of my mind that something was wrong.