Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

We still hadn't found Hannibal or Alexion.

And it was making Cain antsy.

He would get up late at night to pace in the throne room or toss back a few drinks, then he'd come back to bed and completely cover me, like he was afraid someone would come and take me away in the night. Not that he had to worry. I spent most of my time with him anyway since we played hide and seek on his property. It'd been a week since then.

And Malachi was furious at me. I only came back to run a few errands with him, then I'd go back to Cain. And it wasn't always on purpose. Sometimes I'd be trying to get to my own room at Malachi's or even Jahlia's and I'd appear at Cain's. Subconsciously, I just wanted to stay at Cain's.

Even if he was grumpy and pissy about not being able to find Hannibal and Alexion.

"This is stupid," Cain growled, slamming his fist down on his black oak desk, almost causing it to break in half, "How can they not be here?! I've sent out every single man and even Malachi's throw in some of his people! And Hades even put out some men to find them! They can't just vanish." I frowned, watching him pace behind his desk like an angry tiger trapped in a cage. I didn't know what to say to make him less angry, so I just let him fume and throw everything everywhere in a fit of rage.

He wore a brown brocade military style corset with a matching short jacket over a black turtleneck that matched his leather pants and tall buckled boots that thumped heavily with each step he took. He even had a brown holster around his waist and a sword that he really didn't need since his powers would be enough to rip someone to shreds. Then again, he was a well-known sadist, so changes were that he just liked the feeling of cutting someone up.

I subconsciously rubbed the scar down my chest at that, swallowing hard. To forget the memory of how the scar got there in the first place, I decided to speak up.

"Maybe they're not in our underworld," I offered to Cain, who paused at that, "Have you asked the Egyptian pantheon? Maybe they're in Duat, or Mictlan, even Hell." Cain frowned, leaning on his desk on one hand, his other on his hip, brow furrowed in a concentrated expression.

"Can't be Duat," He said at last, "The Egyptians want nothing to do with us. If Hannibal or Alexion were there, Osiris would know it first and kick the living shit out of both of them. Not even Ma'at would back them up. I can contact Mictlantecuhtli and see if they've been spotted in Mictlan. I'm sure Lucifer wouldn't mind giving us a little assistance." With that, Cain plopped down and popped open his laptop to start typing emails quickly.

How convenient, I thought. We used to go on mind-blowing journeys through dangerous territory to reach other pantheons. We'd send heroes to do our work.

Now we just emailed them.

Yo, can u kill dis dude 4 me? thanx.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen to technology. Not that I was complaining. Less work for me and more time to do better things. And speaking of which, I came around Cain's desk and leaned over beside him as he typed the emails out. I blew in his ear and he shivered, reaching up to pinch my cheek with one hand, while he continued typing with the other.

"What're you doing?" Cain drawled. I pouted and gave his chair a little push, making him scowl and stop typing to look up at me.

"I'm bored," I declared, giving his chair another push until he was away from the computer, "Let's go do something." Cain gave me a droll stare.

"After I email the gods. Jeez, when did you get so needy?"

"When you started giving me attention," I replied, then paused, "Woof woof!" Cain rolled his eyes, but I could see him trying to contain a smile. He held up a finger for me to wait a minute. He came back to his desk, typed up the last email, sent it, then stood up and came over to me. He scooped me off my feet and dropped me on the desk, getting between my legs so he could press himself against me, his lips finding mine.