Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I stumbled into the kitchen after puking a second time on the way to said kitchen.

Goddamn, I was classy.

I took a deep breath, wiping my mouth on the back of my hand as I made my way to the largest of the fridges. I opened the door and reached in, taking out a bottle of nectar. I popped the cap off and took a deep gulp, breathing a sigh of relief as I felt the warmth of it spread through me. I stepped back, satisfied with my snack and shut the door, only to jump when I saw Dorean behind the fridge door, looking up at me.

Dorean was an imp that Adrian had adopted after his first visit to town. It was probably his worst decision yet. I couldn't tell why I hated imps. Maybe they were just annoying and stupid, or maybe they were just pathetic and it pissed me off. Either way, I didn't like him.

Granted, he was kind of cute. His hair was white as the freshest of snow, a bit tousled from just waking up, his bangs hanging over his sharp, silver eyes. His ears were a bit pointed, his small bat-like wings poking out the back of his dark red silky top, and a tail that fell on the floor behind him, lightly layered with black feathers.

And best of all was his name. I was a jerk and I knew it, especially telling Adrian the wrong kind of "free". He asked for "free", and I gave it to him-- just not the "free" he was looking for. I kept that to myself, though, because Adrian would probably kick me in the mouth and knowing Malachi, he'd let him too.

"What do you want?" I asked Dorean flatly, disgusted to find him in the kitchen. I didn't want him around the food I ate, and I had already told Adrian to keep him out. Imps had delicate stomachs and if they ate too much, they'd get bloated and sick. Even worse was that they would whine a high-pitched wail all night because their stomachs hurt. They were too stupid to know when to stop eating.

"Ah," Dorean hesitated, squirming under my gaze as he tightened his grip on one of the pomegranates he'd picked out of the nearby wicker basket, "Abel look sick. Dorean get medicine, make all better?" He looked hopeful. I curled my lip at that. I treated him like trash and he still tried to get on my good side. Couldn't he take a hint?

Could anyone take a hint these days?

"If you don't get out of my way, you'll be the one who'll need medicine." I mocked. He laid his wings back and shrank back from me, obviously sensing my anger. He seemed to decide leaving me alone would be a good idea, much to my relief. Something about the way his dewy eyes turned empty and his face fell when I snapped at him poked vigorously at my blackened heart. It pissed me off that being mean to him could still manage to make me feel guilty.

"You're soft, Abel. It's pathetic. You don't just look like a woman-- you are a woman."

Cain's words seared my brain and I clenched my fist around the bottle in my fist and slammed it down on the floor, causing it to explode and spray everywhere. I shouted angrily at that, stepping back and wiping my face off. Dorean squeaked, having not even gotten past me before my temper exploded. I whirled on him angrily, watching him shrink back against the cupboards and dropping the fruit to cover his head as if he were expecting me to hit him, and I wanted to, until he spoke.

"If Abel hit Dorean, he tell Adrian!" He blurted. My hand froze a couple feet above his head as my blood turned to ice.

"Excuse me?" I demanded icily, lowering my arm to glare down at him. Dorean still eyed me warily, but this time, he dropped his arms and jumped to his feet, trying to size me up, which was nearly impossible given how tiny he was compared to me.

"A-Adrian say Dorean don't have to do what you say. Adrian say Abel do what Dorean says." He added.

White hot anger flashed through me so quickly that before I knew what I was doing, I was reaching out to strangle the little shit, but he yelped and ducked me, grabbing his fruit and scrambling out of the kitchen as fast as his little legs could carry him. I glared after him, but having almost killed him didn't satisfy me. I slammed my fist down on the counter top and sent a lightening bolt shooting through the marble, causing it to explode and shatter, rubble flying everywhere.