Chapter 21 - Liana

He hadn't said goodbye. I didn't know what I'd been expecting. Some small part of me had hoped he'd leap in front of the bus, demand he says goodbye to me properly, but the other, more dominant part told me I was an idiot if I believed he still wanted me after what I'd done.

"He's teaching a lesson you know," Jenny said gently beside me.

I nodded, shrugging as if I didn't care, but we both knew I did.

I didn't let Jenny talk to me again, instead I listened to Katelyn and Emily in front of us who were chatting about how they were going to paint each others nails and get new haircuts and dye their hair a darker shade of blonde and I laughed to myself as Katelyn announced she'd hack her cast off with a saw when she got home and replace it with a more glamorized cast.

We whizzed through airport security, and before long we were on the plane. I played cards with Jenny to try to distract myself, but my mind was halfway back in the Alps with Olly and halfway stuck in Florida with my mom.

"Are you worried she's going to be angry about you coming home later?" Jenny asked, biting her lip as the plane prepared for touchdown.

"She will be angry," I said blankly, holding my breath as the plane touched down onto the run way.

I said good bye to everyone at the airport, and got in Mr Morris' car. He said he'd tried to get hold of someone for me to let them know we'd be late and not to worry and that I should be picked up on Friday instead, but no one had picked up my home phone. It was unsurprising and didn't bother me at all, if I was honest.

"How's your mom doing?" Mr Morris asked predictably as we pulled onto the highway.

He didn't care. Okay, maybe that was unfair, he cared, but he didn't really care. He cared about as much as you care about starving kids in Africa, or as much as you care about homeless people... like you care, but you don't want to get involved or don't think you can really help, it's nothing to do with you.

"She's good," I shrugged. "No change, I think."

"I'm sure she'll be happy to see you," Mr Morris smiled as I looked out of the window. He really didn't get it. He didn't believe my mom could hate me after everything I did for her, after how weak she'd become, but he didn't know what went on behind closed doors, and I wasn't about to tell him. After all, he had his own perfect family that didn't need my imperfections.

"I'm sure she will," I lied. Well, maybe it wasn't a lie. She probably would be happy to see me, because the one person she hated more than me was Kirstie, the carer that took over on the occasional times I went away. She'd also be happy she now had someone to insult and hate and take her pain out on.

I wasn't concerned when Mr Morris dropped me off and I noticed all the lights were out and the curtains were closed. Another thing mom hated a little more than me... Light.

I knocked on the door, but wasn't surprised when no one answered. I shoved my key in lock, hesitantly turning it and holding my breath.

The silence was deafening as I tiptoed into the living room, and let out a long breath. Mom sat in her usual rocking chair, her eyes closed and her breathing the usual husky gasp. I turned backwards, hoping to sneak into my room, when my foot clipped a bottle that lay on the floor.

My mom's eyes snapped open and she let out a yell. Kirstie ran into the living room immediately, running straight into me.

"Oh, Liana!" Kirstie sighed, righting us both and laying steadying hands on my shoulders. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, turning back to my mom who was catching her breath, glaring at me. "Are you trying to kill me?!" She yelled. "Oh... wait... no, I forgot, you're too selfish to kill me, you want me to suffer for the whole of my miserable life."