13

The driver drops them off at a across-the-country well known coffee joint. Leo sighs. He had wanted a small, local business. No matter, he'd still treat her. He knew on the debit card his uncle gave him he had at least four thousand American dollars. He takes Anna by the arm, she flinches, and lightly pulls her after him. He gets a good look at her.

She was skinnier than she had been when he last saw her, although not unhealthy. She seemed empty, her head hung and she wouldn't look at him in the eye. Other than saying his name, she hadn't even opened her mouth.

"Anna, listen to me," he orders gently, tilting her face to his. Her eyes held a saddness that made him want to kill the people who hurt her.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I've spent the last two years trying to protect you, even though it probably might've not seemed like it. So please, don't shut me out."

She looks at him and nods.

"Say something," he begs.

"I want to see my grandfather," she breathes, he smiles and nods.

"How about we get something here, then walk to your old house?"

She allows a small, sad smile, "He's not going to be at my house Leo. IF he's alive, he's going to be in the intensive care unit."

He stares at her, realization dawning.

"When I ran to your house, you were crying because you knew he didn't have much time left?"

She nods, then takes his hand. A fake smile becomes plastered to her face.

"Let's get something to drink," she tells him cheerfully.

He nods slowly and leads the way inside while asking what she wants.

"A caramel frappuccino," she answers.

He orders for them and they wait for the drinks.

"Is there anything you want to do after we visit him?" He asks quietly.

"Is there anything you want to do?" She counters with a giggle. He knew she was putting on an act, not for him, but the people watching.

"We could go see a movie?" He offers.

"What kind of movie?"

"Action or Comedy?"

"I like Comedy."

Before he can answer, he hears his order name called. He raises a hand and grabs their drinks. He walks back to her, hands her hers, and swings his now free arm around her shoulder.

The walk to the hospital is short. But as soon as they enter, Anna goes stiff.

"Can I help you?" The receptionist asks politely. Anna licks her lip before answering.

"Yes, um, I'm looking for a Mr. Lancaster? His granddaughter told me he was admitted here about two years ago?"

"Mr. Lancaster? Hold on let me check," the lady answers, then types some things into the computer. She nods and looks back up.

"He's in room 549 just down the hall," she says and Anna runs off. The receptionist looks at Leo, "She knows you need visitors passes right?"

Leo give a small chuckle, "If you give them both to me, I'll make sure she gets one Ma'am."

"Very well. Names?"

"Caroline Lancaster and Dillon Cole," Leo lies. He knew Anna had lied about being the grandaughter and Dillon Cole was his alias.

"Relation to the patient?"

"Niece and her boyfriend."

He liked the way that sounded. The receptionist nods and hands him two slips.

"These are your passes honey."

"Thank you, room 549 correct?"

The lady nods and he walks away. He enters the room and leans against the wall while watching Anna with her grandfather. He was asleep and had a face mask on. She was holding his hand to her face and whispering things so quiet, Leo doubted they reached the old man's ears.

They sit there for hours. Eventually, someone taps on Leo's shoulder. He turns, behind him is a male nurse.

"Visiting hours are over Mr. Cole," the man informs him.

"Ah, thank you."

The male nurse nods and walks away.

"Anna, we have to go," he calls.

She looks up with tear stains on her cheeks. She bites her bottom lip and nods slightly. She whispers one last thing to her grandfather's sleeping form and kisses his forehead. Trembling she gets up. He approaches her and wraps his arm around her shaking shoulder.

"Are you still up for the movie?" He asks.

"Yeah, I need a distraction," she answers quietly.

"Okay."