17

Leo trudges back into the house. The prostitute was dead, he had a picture on his phone to prove it. He ignores the people around the house as he goes up to his room and sits on the bed. He picks up the calender next to his bed and sketches a skull on the date. Slowly, painfully, he goes through the entire thing, counting every badly drawn picture.

In the past few years, he had killed least fourteen people, sold drugs to sixty-three, and kidnapped three. He couldn't remember any of their names. A single tear makes its way down his face. It gets wiped away furiously and he stands.

"Good job," his uncle says, coming out of the shadows. Leo doesn't flinch, "You took advantage of the fact that she was an addict and made it look like she had OD'd. During an autopsy, it will look like she was sold the wrong drugs."

Leo doesn't say a word as his uncle places a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm proud of your work," he whispers in Leo's ear.

"Anna's the only reason I'm allowing myself to be used as your puppet," Leo snaps, his uncle grabs his ear and yanks him down.

"And if you're not careful, I'll beat her bloody and make sure she can't walk," his uncle growls and throws Leo to the ground. He points a finger at his nephew, "You're lucky I'm in a good mood today, or else you'd be hearing her screams."

His uncle starts toward the door. Before he exits, he looks back.

"Make dinner for my colleagues and I tonight," he orders harshly before slamming the door.

Leo rises slowly off the ground and places the calender and the marker he used to draw the skull carefully back on the dresser. He leaves his room and heads down towards the kitchen where he begins to make spaghetti.

No sooner than when he finishes, he hears the kitchen door swing open, revealing his uncle's friends.

"Smells good kid!" One shouts drunkenly, Leo ignores him and pulls out the plastic ware to serve the food on.

The men eagerly snatch the plates out of Leo's hands before he is done putting food on, resulting in all of them getting less than a serving. When they were gone, Leo still had half a pot of the Italian food.

He sighs and serves some for himself.

*I wonder if Anna has eaten yet.*

Leo finds himself making another plate and decent ingredients up the stairs to where she was held prisoner.