15

They never make it to the movie.

When they reach the theater, Leo smiles and opens the door for Anna, only to have someone come up behind him and slam the door shut.

"Playtime's over kids," a man says after coming up behind Anna and placing a hand on her shoulder. He starts steering her towards a black car.

Anna looks back frantically, Leo looks at her. Her eyes, her beautiful green eyes, are filled with two things: fear and dread.

"Hands off bastard," Leo hisses, coming up behind them and wretching Anna away from him, "We can walk ourselves."

The man grabs the back of Leo's shirt and restrains him, shoving Anna to the ground. Leo tries to help her up, but the man holds him still.

"Boss's orders kid," the man sneers, reaching in his pocket and pulling out a crumpled piece of paper. He waves it in front of Leo's face before dropping it to the ground.

"You have a job," the man cackles before pushing Leo away.

He takes Anna, who is slowly rising from the ground, around the waist and lifts her up, carrying her to the car and shoving her it. Leo can hear her head hit against the roof and he clenches his fists. The car drives away, leaving Leo alone outside of the movie theater.

A slight breeze passes through, nearly blowing the paper away. Leo stomps on it and lowers his head. He didn't want to know who's name was on the paper. Worse, he didn't want to know what he would be doing to that person.

After a while, he takes a deep breath, bends down, and picks up the crumpled folded sheet. He seals his eyes closed as he opens it, takes another deep breath, then opens his eyes again, allowing them to focus onto the words.

'Caroline Fisher.
Druggie and prostitute.
Last customer told her too much.
I want it done by tomorrow morning.'

His uncles painfully neat handwriting reads. A small copy of a mugshot is included.

He doesn't think of her possible family. He doesn't think of her personal life. Instead, he thinks of the fear in Anna's eyes.

'Anna, I will protect you. I promise.'