Chapter two.

Chapter two.

Acute Myeloid Leukaemia is a form of cancer of the bone marrow which, in most cases, spreads to the blood stream. Usually, blood cells are made in the bone marrow properly but sometimes, this process can get out of hand and many immature cells are made. These cells don't mature and develop into normal functioning blood cells, and so they take up the majority of the space where normal ones could have been. This means that, because they are unable to work, there is an increase risk of infection, bleeding and bruising, anaemia and could also cause fewer healthy red blood cells and platelets.

My immune system is a lot weaker than others. When I was fourteen years old, I was diagnosed with AML but, with the help of chemotherapy, I managed to beat it. I was in remission for a year until it came back again. Nobody knows about my condition apart from Noah, mum and dad. Dad, himself, is an Oncologist and so he always has an eye on me.

I've never told Ashton about my cancer. I moved away to London for my last chemotherapy treatment so that he wouldn't suspect anything. But I'm not having chemo this time, so we'll see how it all plans out.

"Want to do something today?" Ashton asked me.

I bit my lip and thought about it. I was feeling a little better today so, "Why not? Come over in half an hour?"

"I'll be there. Bye Abs," he hung up the phone.

I got up off my bed slowly so I didn't fall from dizziness and then made my way to the bathroom, grabbing a towel as I went. Switching on the shower, I stripped off and put my clothes in the laundry basket. Once the shower was ready, I climbed in. I washed my hair, rinsed and then washed again. Then, I threw my hair up into a bobble and had a wash. I put my hair up so that I didn't get any shower gel in it. Good thinking, I know. I climbed out once finished and wrapped the towel around me.

"Abby! Ashton's here!" Noah shouted up the stairs.

"Shit," I hissed. I quickly dried off and threw on a hoodie and some black leggings, completing my outfit with my vans. Once finished, I towel dried my hair, styled it and then walked downstairs.

"Hey," he smiled at me.

"Hey."

"So are you ready? Can we go?"

"Yeah, just let me ask mum," I told him. He nodded as I walked into the kitchen to find my mum. "Mummy..."

She looked up at me, "Yes sweetie? Are you okay? Do you-?"

I cut her off. "Mum, I'm fine. Can I go out with Ashton please?" I bit my lip, half expecting her to tell me 'no' because I'm sick.

"Um," she looked me up and down, "Yes but if you... You know... Come straight back home."

I nodded, "Thank you mummy. I love you."

"I love you too sweetie, stay safe." I hugged her tight and then walked to Ashton.

"All set?" He asked. I nodded and walked out with him, hand in hand. Once again, I had that funny feeling but I shrugged it off. "How about ice cream? We can go to the park afterwards..."

"Yeah!" I agreed, enthusiastically. Park and ice cream was kind of our thing. We did it at least once a month.

He chuckled at me as we walked down the path. The ice cream parlour wasn't far from my house and so it didn't take long to get there. "Here we are," Ashton announced. He opened the door for me. I walked through.

"Shall I go and choose a table, or..?" I asked, trailing off. He nodded and told me that he would order our ice creams. My eyes scanned the room, settling on the table nearest to the window. It was our usual place to sit and so I was happy that it was empty.