Chapter 10: Double Trouble

Season - Fall

Maiya's POV

Why is an ex-human vampire at this school? The association specifically told me when they embarked the job onto me that they would be the three purebloods, majority aristocrats and most likely no common vampires. But here we are, a common vampire and an ex-human vampire. I continued to observe the two of the vampires, closely watching to see if they were going to pounce or run off.

There was silence, all I could hear was the sound of my breathing.

"S-So uh, are you new or something?" The ex-human vampire said to me as he put his hand behind his head awkwardly, I looked him in the eye with a serious face on, he looked scared. But then he looked to my armband as he broke the eye contact. "We've never seen you before." The common vampire said to us as she stepped in front of the ex-human, she looked scared as well.

I sighed as I put my guns down and put them back in my belt and watched the both of them.

"Yes I'm new here, I transfered here to join the student council and look after the day class students." I bluntly said as I looked at the both of them, they looked to have a slight moment of ease.

"Then that means you're on escort duty then!" The ex-human vampire said with a smile, which brought my attention to him immediately, why would a vampire just be smiling in front of a hunter? It makes me actually want to ask him the questions. "You do know you're smiling in front of a vampire hunter, is that the right choice to be doing?" I asked him, his smile dropped slightly but shook his head.

"You don't really have any reason to kill me though do you? We're just making our way to the gate." The ex-human vampire said to me, I let out a sigh before looking to the window of the hallway that I was in. "I guess so." I said before I rushed towards the ex-human, grabbing his arm and pulling up his sleeve.

"What are you doing?!" The ex-human yelled to me, but then I brought the bottom of my pistol above his wrist, the gun glowed red for a minute before it branded an EX onto his skin. I jumped back as the EX faintly disappears and his sleeve goes back down. 

"I branded you, in ever the case that you become a level E so I can track down and kill you." I glared to the orange haired vampire, his face eased as he nodded understanding me. "You could have just asked you know?" The common vampire said to me, but I turned away from them.

"I'm taking you both to the gate, hurry." I said as I went off in one direction, then I heard the ex-human yell to me.

"You're going the wrong way!" He said as I turned back to the both of them, walking back up to them both with a small blush of embarassment on my face.

I can't believe I looked like such an idiot to the two of them, the both of them are calmly smiling at me. They said that they were the most "human" out of all the vampires, it explains why the two of them are acting so casual. But at the same time they seem to be feared, due to my vampire hunter lineage and all that.

"I've only moved in here this morning, so I'll escort you to the gate." I said as I looked away from the both of them.
"Alright let's go!" The ex-human vampire smiled as he headed off in another direction with the common vampire following after him, it took me a moment to realize what was actually happening.

I'm listening to a vampires orders, this has got to be the most embarassing thing.

"Hey you coming? What's your name?" The common vampire said as she stopped a distance away from me, I walked up to her. "Maiya Kahae." I said to her as I walked past, following the ex-human vampire just in front of me. I could feel her eyes behind me, as the three of us walked through the hallways towards the gate.

"Well Maiya, my name is Ayano Wainright." The common vampire said as she was now walking besides me, I heard that last name before. The Wainright's are an aristocratic family, but who ever knew that there would have been a common vampire in their family? 
"A common vampire in an aristocratic family?" My thoughts spilled out, but Ayano nodded at me a little sadly.

"My father is an aristocrat vampire, while my mother was a human. When my grandfather found out that his son had a child with a human, he sent people after my mother and they killed her when I was just a young child." Ayano said with a sad expression on her face, but I remained silent.
"My brother and my father fled with me from my grandfather, since I have the name of the aristocratic family." Ayano added on and let out a long sigh.

"Your grandfather sounds like a mess." I said to her as we continued to walk.
"Haha he sure is, my brother swore to kill him the next time we see him." Ayano replied to me.
"Does your brother so happen to be the Tempest Wainright?" I asked Ayano and she nodded at me.
"Sure is, how do you know him?" Ayano asked me.
"I've heard very positive things about him that's all." I replied to her blunty as the three of us walk down the stairs.

This does intrigue me though with Ayano's grandfather, he killed an innocent human after all.

We reach the bottom of the stairs and walk outside to the fresh air, I see many vampires in their night class uniform, I put my glare on as I stared at every single one of them. Among them I see Aihara, which makes my blood boil with anger, the two vampires besides me then run up to Takara who seemed to be doing a rollcall of all the students. I walked up to the three of them.

"You two are late again." Takara sighed to the both of them before... smiling?
"Oh well, at least you two made it here safe." Takara added on before she looked at me, then back at them, she then walked over to me.

"Can I have a word with you?" Takara asked me before I looked around and nodded, a male with black hair pulled into a ponytail calmly took the clipboard out of Takara's hands and she nodded at him, before we walked some place with a fountain running.

"Those two vampires you were walking with, did you hurt them?" Takara said with a serious look on her face, then I turned to her.

"I branded the ex-human for when he falls into a level E." I said to her, she sighs in frustration but calms down almost immediately.
"That's fine I guess. Those two are looked down upon by the aristocrats and purebloods, they're practically treated as slaves, except they have a little more freedom." Takara said as she leaned against a light post.

"But isn't it normal for that to happen in the vampire society?" I spoke up to Takara.

"This is not the vampire society. Those two are frowned upon, they talk shit to them right in their faces. Kioshi even gets hit sometimes." Takara was very confident at the start of her speech but was quiet at the last sentence.

"Anyways what I'm asking is if you can try and keep those two out of trouble? An experienced hunter is now a member of the Student Council so it would keep the aristocrats at a bit of a distance. You've already started your job walking in with the both of them, they might even think you're a bodyguard." Takara said to me as I stared at the fountain, looking at all of the small splashes.

Protect vampires? This isn't supposed to be my job here. I'm here to kill Aihara then all of the other vampires, this would help conceal that mission of mine here though. If this gets me closer to Aihara, I'll be happy to do it.

"I'll try my best." I answered to Takara, she sighed in relief before walking past me.

"Thanks, let's escort these vampires." Takara said as she took her hand off my shoulder and walked towards the gate, myself following close behind.