Chapter 10

" your smile is what enlightens me. The glow your face emits dissolves all my worries.......you are very special to me coz you are my only daughter...." That's what mom once told me and now I know it's all a lie coz I'm no longer her only daughter.

..........................................................................................................

The very next morning everyone in the house was disturbed by incessantly ringing doorbell.

Emma rubbed her eyes trying to ward off the morning laziness she was feeling so heavily. She sat on her bed and felt alarmed. Her legs felt the wretchedness of the thing that rested on her blanket.

Her every instinct told her it must be a cat. She thought of jumping out of her bed, as she was freaked out at the fact of a cat in her bed.
She rubbed her eyes once again and squeezed her eyes focusing on the squirming thing.

'My god!! Sharf what are you doing.....here' Emma felt relieved. For a second she felt grateful for not jumping off immediately out of her bed.

Emma stretched her arms and grabbed Sharf's body gently and placed him on her pillow and covered him with her blanket
'I could've have kicked you....for a second you freaked me out......my sleepy cat'
Emma quickly gave him a peck on his cheek before she left to check on the impatient visitor who wouldn't stop ringing the bell.

Emma rushed to the door, while she was on her way she quickly glanced at the wall clock.
'It's 7 in the morning....is the clock broken or what....who could be visiting so early at this hour'

Emma opened the door and stood yawning. She stood facing a young man in his early twenties. He looked young and attractive and messed up.
The moment the door flung open he turned away.

"Gimme a minute....I'll  be quick" his voice was muffled. Emma watched him in confusion as he hurried off.
She saw him running towards his car that was parked in front of her home.
He opened his car door and pulled out a girl and along with her a baby.
He carried the baby in his arms as the girl followed behind him.

He stopped at the door in front of Emma.

"Carry her for a second will you....!!" He stretched his arms that carried the baby.
Emma was furious at his lack of manners, but she immediately grabbed on the baby and couldn't help and cuddled her.

He pulled the girl that stood behind him and pushed her inside and once again ran to his car.

Emma supported the baby in her one hand and stretched out her other hand to greet the girl in, who wore an expression of a lost child.

Emma kept staring at the man who was hastily carrying a bag and a file and was headed towards her.
He placed the bag at his feet and forced the file into Emma's face.
Emma let go of her hand that held the girl and took the file.

The man then once again ran to his car and this time he drove away.

Emma grabbed the bag that was dropped by him at the door and tried balancing herself with the baby in her arms she led them in and then kicked the door shut.

'That was super weird and rude......what a jerk!!' Emma dropped the file on the bag and pushed them aside with her foot. She thought first she should show the girls in and then maybe later she would take care of the rest.

Emma once again held out her hand to the girl. She grabbed it and Emma led them both in.
Emma led them to her mom's bedroom.

The door was open and Emma entered without much hesitation. Her mom was awake but still in bed.

"Who's at the door....."her mom asked in muffled sleepy tone.
"Mom!! A little help here!!!" Emma shrieked as she felt her arm carrying the baby become heavier and heavier.
"Whaaa....ts wrong......" Her mom threw off the sheets that covered her face and immediately sat up.

She took away the baby Emma carried and placed her carefully beside her.
"Aren't you quite early today!!" She whispered to the girl that stood beside Emma holding on to Emma's hand.

Emma took the girl in her arms and placed her on her moms laps.

"Mom!!! I'll go get their stuff....!!" Emma said and was about to walk away when her mom grabbed her arm.

"Who brought them both here????" Her question came in whispers.
"Why are you whispering!!!" Emma asked annoyed at her mom.
"You dummy....can't you see the baby is sound asleep.....and babies aren't so comfortable with new people around....you don't want her crying do you...."
Emma's mom whispered.

"Okay I get it.....let me get their stuff......and by the way some rude weirdo dropped them both and drove away" Emma whispered back and left the room closing the door very gently behind her.

Emma was sure that the file was probably the baby's information, as to her baby food and the brand she's used to. Her allergies and her medical facts.
Her doctors appointments and facts about her eating habits.

Emma sat onto her knees and opened the bag only to find out it contained clothes and zipped it close. She held the file and scanned through the pages.

'Its very weird that there are so many pages......a baby's information should've been completed in two or three pages......except that this isnt baby info  file.......these are legal documents........'

Emma sat shocked and continued glancing at the contents of the file.

'Adoption papers!!'

Emma sat frozen at her thoughts she no longer felt sleepy..................

'Mom......is adopting both the girls.....!!!"