Chapter 30: I Love You

The soft giggles and chuckled had Alexandra smiled faintly as she sat on the rattan couch near the pool. Her heart ached slightly at the sight but was quickly shadowed by the happiness overwhelming her that moment. The sun shone brightly in the afternoon and it was refreshing for Alexandra to have finally stepped foot outside of the mansion once in a while after cramming up back in their home, grieving about the loss she had to endure for the past two years.

From afar, she could hear the soft yet loud voice of Patricia reaching out to her. She turned around and squinted her eyes to make out the images of Patricia and Jerry hanging out at the garden tables. "Alexandra dear, come have some tea with us. We have juices too if you'd prefer."

It was Monday, and she was supposed to sit in two meetings with a client and sponsors today but due to Jerry's request, Alexandra had to take a raincheck for her work to spend time with her family since it had been a long time she sat together and talked with them. Alexandra slowly stood up from the couch and tidied up her sundress before making her way towards her in-laws whom she had thought as her own parents over the past few years.

"Come. Sit, sit, my dear. We have guava, orange and coconut juices today." Jerry stated, pointing out at each one of the beverages on the table. "Also, some petite blueberry tarts, lemon squares and of course, Grant's all time fav, chocolate soufflés."

Smiling sadly at the mention of the chocolate soufflés, Alexandra quickly blinked a few times and masked her expression from being seen by Jerry and Patricia. The last thing she wanted was to indulge in another sad moment when Jerry and Patricia had tried their best to get her to step foot out of the house after two years of mourning. However, Patricia was quick to notice the change in expression displayed on her face a few seconds ago.

"It's okay, love. You don't have to hide your feelings from us." She expressed faintly.

Alexandra looked down onto her hands on her lap and smiled, "I miss him. I miss him so much even though it has been two years since his passing."

"We miss him too, Alexandra... but he would want all of us to be happy." Jerry said in a hush tone. He then sucked in a breath and smiled widely, "Now, which would you prefer to drink?"

Alexandra chuckled lightly, "Uhm... Tea perhaps. The smell is quite marvellous from here."

"So, Alexandra. The hospital was planning on building another new expansion over in Scotland. Since the last one in Ireland got good responses, I think it would be good if we build another one in Scotland. What do you think?" Jerry asked, sipping his tea carefully.

"Oh dear! Sweetie, it's a miracle that we could get her to go out to our backyard to spend time with us rather than just going back home from work and to the hospital for work only and now, you want to talk about work again?" Patricia said in exasperatedly. She snorted, "Dear you don't have to answer that. Your papa here is just bluffing."

Laughter erupted from Alexandra as she watched Patricia threw daggers in her husband's direction. What's more funny was when Jerry pouted slightly and stuck his tongue out at her.

"It's okay, mamma. I'm the CFO anyway, and speaking of the hospital, we would need a great expense building another hospital but, the profit would definitely doubled from the expense. I think setting up a foundation under the hospital name would be a great idea too. We can have investors invest their money for charitable causes in exchange of free or discount services from the hospital. A win-win situation."

Jerry clapped his hands with a bright smile graced his features, "Great idea! I'll hold up a meeting next week and bring up this idea for discussion later. See, Patricia. Our daughter loves me more than she does with you."