Chapter Twenty-Four

Malik screamed, clutching his newly cleaned and folded clothes to his chest. He holds up a silencing finger and stumbles back. "Don't come any closer," he threatens, "I just vacuumed."

Blinking, I scoff incredulously. "Wow, baby," I retort mockingly, "Thank you so much. I feel your radiating love."

Malik smiles sheepishly and places his clothes on his freshly made bed, before shuffling towards me and pressing a fleeting kiss against my lips. "Despite your... mud-caked state, you are still the most beautiful creature I've ever seen."

Rolling my eyes, I would have flushed red if I could. "Flattery won't get you— wait, did you just call me a creature?!"

Malik waves his hands dismissively, ushering me back into the hallway and resting his pointed chin on my shoulder. "Details," he laughs weakly, "Now, come on. You go have a shower."

"You know, I may have just let you in with me, but..." Stepping inside my own room, I flash Malik's crestfallen face a grin. "I just dusted, so..."

Malik floundered, his lips parting and closing as he scrambled for words, before the door slammed in his face; my maniacal laughter undoubtedly filtering through the walls.

***

Food crumbs threatened to spill from my lips as I groaned, "This is phenomenal."

"It's called Koshary," Malik laughs, his chin resting in his hand as we sat opposite from each other in the otherwise vacant meal hall. "It's a popular dish in Egypt, it's really cheap to make—" Malik cut himself off, arching a brow at my smile— "What?"

I shrug, stifling a laugh, "You've just gotta love a man who can cook."

Malik laughs, fanning himself dramatically at my words, before rocking back in his seat — his eyes scanning over me as I finish the home cooked meal. "You know," I begin hesitantly, wiping my mouth with a napkin, "You said you didn't have clear blood and that you're here because of you older sister, but..."

"Pink."

"What?" I enquire, my brows shooting up as Malik chuckles and leans in close. The calloused hands that once gripped the edge of the table entwined with mine, causing a smile to tug at our lips.

"I'm pink blooded," he explains, laughing at my shock. "Yep. I was trained to be a ballerina. You think everyone's this graceful naturally?"

I scoff incredulously, "I just... wow. Did you enjoy it?"

"Loved it," Malik hums, tracing his thumbs across my hand affectionately, "But... I love my sister more. I can't imagine being away from her— wait, shit, I'm sorry, I—"

I raise a hand to silence his rambling, "It's okay... if all goes to plan, then I can see my family again and it won't be..."

"Rushed?" Malik supplies, before smiling reassuringly as I hum. "You'll see them again. Very soon."