Chapter Thirty-Three

The cascade of bullets behind us was all a blur as we rushed through the halls, all evidence of subtly abandoned. Malik would occasionally exclaim directions, pointing for us to make a sharp turn, before we all immediately scrambled into two awaiting elevators.

The heavy steel doors promptly slid shut and it went eerily silent. Only the sounds of our heavy breathing could be heard, echoing off the walls, until the elevator jerked to a halt. Fearing the worst, I clutched onto Ellie and Lucille — hoping that Malik was okay in the elevator opposite to us.

The bald-headed henchman grunted, pushing open a latch on the ceiling of the elevators as the lights went out. "Keep quiet," he instructed softly, "They've cut the power. We'll have to climb. Watch your hands."

Inhaling deeply, the man lifted himself out before then helping me onto the 'roof' of the carriage. "You start climbing," he orders in a whisper, "I'll get the others."

Nodding, I shoot the girls a silent look, before beginning my ascent along the thick, steal ropes. They were sharp and I knew they would viciously cut it my hands if I were to slide downwards. It actually reminded me of the wires on a ski lift.

Climbing what I assumed to be roughly ten metres, with the girls close behind me, I heard the henchmen softly curse as the elevator lights distantly flickered back on. "I suggest you climb," the henchmen grunts, "Quickly."

"Oh my— is that elevator going to move?" Ellie almost screams, "Holy— I think it's moving!"

Picking up the pace, I grunted painfully as my limbs began to ache. Hearing mechanical churning from below, I debated crying out in fear and breathed a sigh of relief when the henchman launched himself onto the rickety, wall-mounted ladder and climbed above me; utilising his large, bulging muscles to pry open the heavy steel doors. "Come on," he beckons, crouching in the gap of the forcibly opened doors. With shaky hands, I inhaled deeply and extended my foot out until my toes curled over the open doorway. The henchman secured a hand around my shin and on the fabric of my coat, and I almost squealed when I launched myself towards the open doorway; stumbling, but still falling safely into the hallway.

I waited for Ellie and Lucille, refusing to leave them, and I immediately clutched onto Ellie when she safely resurfaced. Impatiently waiting for Lucille, I even debated going back in after her, until I heard the humming of the moving elevator. "Come on, come one," Ellie cried quietly, as I joined the henchmen and helped haul Lucille to safety. We all sighed in relief and tears brimmed in my eyes as we clutched onto each other — the henchmen eventually even joining in on our group hug.

Hearing the other elevator open with a ding, the rest of team strolled comfortably out of the car; their eyes falling questioningly on our terrified embrace. Malik immediately rushed over and drew me into a hug. "You're okay," he breathed in relief, "Right?"

I nodded, smoothing my hands over his chest as Malik pushed the fallen hair from my eyes. "How about you?" I enquire softly, stifling a sniffle.

Malik smiles softly and nods, taking my hands as we all turn to face the prominent door at the end of the hall. The strongest of our team step protectively in front of us negotiators and raise whatever previously concealed weapon they wielded.

The door squeaks open, and the sound of raining bullets was almost familiar as all hell broke loose. We were winning and then we were losing. We used whatever cover we could find, but so did our opponents; they did know the layout better, after all, and there were only so many places to hide in a narrow hallway.

Alexis dove in first and Regie cried when a bullet pierced her sister's shoulder, causing translucent blood to spray like water. It only made her more infuriated, though, and the dark-haired woman began covering immense ground to reach her sister swiftly. It allowed us negotiators to slip through the cracks, though my hopes of having a civil conversation were diminishing as I grew closer and closer to the door.

Finally, things became silent and I felt dread wash over me in nauseating waves; an abrupt heat rolling sickeningly at the back of my neck. Malik squeezed my shoulder reassuringly and made sure I was prepared before he lifted his leg and kicked in the door.