Chapter Twenty-Seven

Death was something that shook not only the people that knew the deceased, but everyone around them.

Since Holly left, everything was moving quickly and because we were leaving in two days, the funeral would be today. But saying goodbye for the last time isn't something that should be rushed.

"Miss Damocles?" A soft voice calls and I quickly stand up, smoothing my hands over my jeans. I turn to face the woman that called my name and she quickly holds out a large package wrapped in brown butcher paper with string tied in a bow around it. "She left this for you," she explains before handing the package to me, "DId she have any family we could contact to inform them of her death?"

"Her grandpa. But I have no idea where he is now," I explain, causing her to smile sadly, "It was a few stops from the city, but... shit, I'm sorry. You'll have to ask Malik."

"I'll try to find him. Her grandfather, I mean," she informs before grasping my shoulder lightly in sympathy, "I'm sorry for your loss." She then turns away and walks back down the hall she came from.

I take a deep breath and fix my Aria's scarf around my neck, before slowly making my way back to my room.

The funeral was only minutes away.

I step into my room with a sigh, plunking down on my bed before carefully opening the package. An envelope and scroll reveal themselves. With furrowed brows, I place the scroll onto my bed and pluck the letter from the envelope. Clearing my throat, I begin to brace myself as I cautiously unfold the torn, lined paper.

Dear Pearl,

If you're reading this it means that I am dead. Obviously, because I am such an amazing person, you are in tears, but have no fear! I am still with you. I hope you know that you're stuck with me... FOREVER.

Thank you for reading to me and helping me, after the stuff I've been through (most of which is still thankfully hazy) it was a relief and a pleasure.

Keep the necklace. The universe clearly wants you to have it. Just tell my grandfather that I love him... a lot.

With much love and farewells,

Holly Flanagan

I almost laugh incredulously at her flippancy, and smile sadly as tears brim in my eyes; my fingers lifting, absentmindedly, to play with the necklace around my neck. The jewellery was now more precious to me than ever.

Gathering myself, I wipe my eyes and emerge into the hallway. Following the maps, I head in the direction of the crematorium that lied at the very end of the tunnel network. I then cautiously push open a heavy metal door that lied ahead of me, grimacing at the loud screeching noise it made, before quickly stepping inside.

The last time I had been to a crematorium was when my father died.

My mother wanted closure and an open coffin ceremony, but when I walked up to him all I felt was sadness as his dead brown eyes stared up at me. Dead bodies of relatives never gave me closure, only a haunting and tingly feeling.

"Pearl." I glance over my shoulder and see Ellie walking towards me, her arms extended out as she cautiously walked towards me in sky high shoes.

"Hey," I greet with a small smile, before she pulls me into a tight hug.

"How you doing?" She asks as she pulls away, pushing a few stray pieces of hair off of my face.

"I'm alright," I state simply, to which Ellie replies with a small smile before wrapping a thin arm around my shoulders.

I think Ellie knew that the last thing I wanted to do right now was talk.

Ellie leads me as we walk down the twisty pathways, the twisted tunnels winding deeper into the earth. We passed many urns — each named and well dusted, some even with flowers — until we came to the viewing.

Laria, two nurses, Ellie and myself were the total of people here. It felt wrong that we were the only people that were here to say goodbye. She was such a kind girl; she deserved more.

As if sensing it, I feel Malik's warm hands on my waist and he immediately presses a kiss onto my cheek. "Sorry I'm late," he whispers, extending a small bunch of wildflowers, "I had to grab these." I smile softly, still clutching Ellie's hand as I lean into Malik's side.

"Pearl?" Laria's voice asks suddenly, making me snap to attention, "Is there anything you'd like to say?"

"Holly," I began weakly, clearing my throat and nodding reassuringly when both Malik and Ellie gave me a gentle squeeze. "We didn't know each other that well, but I get the feeling that I was one of your only friends. I... I don't believe in a god, but I hope there's something peaceful ahead for you. You deserve it... more than most.

"Goodbye."