A Duel Between Two Monsters

35 Chapter 12: A Duel Between Two Monsters
A Duel Between Two Monsters

"Both? Both awakened?" Nila asked and tried to hide how shocked she was. Orsay was looking at her listless. The warrior shook her head. This couldn't be! "Are you sure?" she asked. "Yes. Number 4 and 5 awakened two weeks ago" he answered calm.

"Both at the same time? Why?"

"They were upset because they were replaced by two other warriors."

"And just because of that they awakened?"

"Both of them are hot-tempered."

"That's no excuse! What lousy warriors to awaken over something like that!" Nila clenched her fists. She knew that till now no one above the rank of 7 had awakened. Those two were the strongest Awakened Beings in history! She had fought against an awakened Number 8, but she couldn't compare Maxwell's power to theirs. There was a huge gap between Number 5 and 6! A Number 5 wasn't parted by three ranks from an 8. Rather by ten.

"I knew warriors who awakened over lesser things" Orsay simply stated.

"Hmpf..." Angry she glanced at her handler. How could he be so calm when the former Number 4 and 5 had awakened?

"And? Where do I have to kill the next Yomas?" Nila asked impatient.

Then Orsay smirked and answered "No, not ordinary Yomas."

She raised her eyebrows. "So it's an Awakened Being hunt?" Her first hunt had been three months ago. Since then her skills had improved. Nila had trained every day for countless of hours. She wanted to become a single-digit at all costs. She was hoping that Elisha was doing the same thing. She hadn't seen her since they received their emblems and Nila was missing her best friend dearly. But she hadn't found the time to meet her. The Number 13 had been quite busy in the last three months.

"Yes, indeed. You see I haven't told you about the recent awakening of Number 4 and 5 without a reason."

Nila's eyes widened. "No! Please, don't say it! Please, don't tell me to..."

"The former Number 4 is feeding on the humans of a village in your territory. In the north two days from here. They have called for our assistance."

"You mean you will send a hunting party? And I'm part of it?" Nila asked a bit unsure.

"Not...quite. We are a bit short handed right now. Some low ranked warriors awakened and all of our single digits are very busy right now. I'm afraid you will have to deal with him alone."

Her jaw dropped. For some moments she looked at Orsay completely shocked. Was he serious? She should fight against an awakened Number 4? Alone? This had to be a sick joke! There was no way should could win a battle of this kind! There was no way she could survive!

"A...alone? Without any help?" she asked with her eyes widened in shock.

"We could send some warriors ranked in the forties and thirties, but I doubt they would be of any use."

"What...what about Elisha? Is she...busy right now?"

"Yes, she is quite busy actually. What's wrong? It's not like you to be afraid of an opponent."

Anger rose in her chest. It cost her lot of effort to stay calm and say "Well, usually the opponent is not that much stronger than me. Besides does the organisation really think that a Number 13 is able to kill a former Number 4? What about the warrior who replaced him? Wouldn't it be his job to kill him?"

"The new Number 4?...The new Number 4 has been assigned to an Awakened Being hunt just like the new Number 5. It has been decided. You will fight against this Awakened Being. Those are the orders of your superiors."