22 ~ Steps

Song: In Fact by Gregory and The Hawk

Welcome back to the feels train.
Enjoy the ride.

Here ya go sheep:
(now Mabel's pov)

"I can't believe that he doesn't understand." Dipper muttered. "He has twelve PhD's but he can't understand anything."

Mabel smiled, looking up from the book she was reading. "He probably wasn't expecting you to save his life, Dip Dots. It's not everyday that a demon does something good. Maybe Ford's just confused."

Dipper looked over at her. They were currently in the attic, in the room that they used to share. Mabel was sitting in her bed, Dipper was sitting on the floor where his bed used to be.

"Still! He only thinks that something bad will happen. Can't he tell that I can keep you guys safe like this?" He frowned. "Sometimes I think he just wants me gone, you know?"

Mabel put the book down. "Dipper, c'mon, he doesn't want that! He's still just getting used to everything!"

"And so are you, apparently." He said. Mabel grimaced at the thought of the conversation she had had with Ford earlier that day. She'd prefer to not remember that. It hadn't been the best talk of her life.

"Well, duh!" She said happily. "Of course I'm still getting used to it. Everyone is! So are you! But that's okay!"

"But Mabel--"

"And it doesn't matter what anyone says! You're still my brother! And I know you would never do anything bad and mean it. You'll keep everyone save, including yourself." She put her hands on her hips as though that would help to solidify the statement.

"But what if he was right?" Dipper said, pulling his legs up until he was huddled in one spot. "What if something goes wrong or I do something... What if something happens to you and it's my fault?"

Mabel stood up and walked over to him, sitting beside him. She sat there for a while, silently. "Dipper, as long you do everything you can, and as long as you don't overdo it, then nothing will ever be entirely your fault. Got it?"

Dipper didn't say anything. Mabel sighed, she had definitely hoped for a better reaction.

"Sometimes you take things too seriously." She said.

"Maybe you don't understand how serious this is!" He snapped back, then frowned ."Sorry."

"Hey, don't apologize!" Mabel said. "You could be right. Maybe this is worse than I thought. But so far, I just think that everyone just needs some time to get used to this. This isn't exactly a normal situation to be in, you know."

She froze as she felt arms wrap around her and as Dipper engulfed her in a hug. He felt cold, but she didn't really mind. After a while she rubbed his back. "Hey, it's okay, bro bro."

"Thanks Mabel. You don't know how much I needed that talk."

"I have a pretty good idea." She said, smiling. "No, I needed to talk to. Now get up, goof ball. I'm bored, and I want to do something."

Laughing, Dipper leaned back and stood up, helping Mabel up. She was about to say something, but suddenly they were standing downstairs. Mabel stumbled forward, trying to regain her balance.

"Woah, sorry." Dipper said. "I should have told you I was going to teleport us downstairs. It's a little confusing at first."

"Really?" She said. "I never would have figured that out."