zero

Tsai waited.

She was the only one awake, since she had told her parents she was going to nap for a while. She wanted to be the only one awake when it happened, when it was finally midnight. This is something that Tsai wanted to face herself, and see before anyone else in the family could.

There was only another minute before it would be the sixth of October, Tsai's sixteenth birthday. Her tattoo would finally appear tonight, imprinting itself on her skin for the rest of her life. She wondered who out there would have the same tattoo as her. 

She wondered who out there would be her soulmate for the rest of her life.

Tsai stared at the clock as it finally became midnight. She ripped off her large T-Shirt, leaving her in only her bra and panties. She scanned her skin, looking for a new, foreign mark across her tan brown canvas. Where could it be? On her legs? Her arms? Across her back?

Tsai stared into her bedroom mirror, trying to find anything. She was getting slowly frustrated; she heard of people who were born with no tattoos, meaning there was absolutely no one destined for them in the world. Her eyes were beginning to water as she turned and looked at her neck and glanced at her back.

"Shit," Tsai sighed, her head hanging when she couldn't locate the mark. She thought of how she would have to tell her mother and father that they won't ever go to her wedding, or see her with the perfect person.

In defeat, Tsai began to pull her pants back on, tugging the grey sweatpants up her thick thighs. She then grabbed her shirt, beginning to pull it over her head when she glanced into the mirror.

Underneath her left breast, Tsai could see her brand new tattoo. It wasn't that small, (Tsai believed that it was no bigger than the size of a notecard) but Tsai could see that the tattoo was a world map, colored in with red and green and blue.

Tsai sighed softly, her racing heart slowing as she put on her shirt. There was someone out there, someone destined to be with her that the universe had chosen just for her. Tsai wasn't going to be alone in the world, she had her missing half out there.

"I love you," Tsai whispered, touching the spot where the tattoo had formed, "I can't wait to see you."