Chapter One: The Most Awkward Man

Ralph knew he could never engage in a relationship with a woman, or with anybody properly after what happened. He was hopeless at it. He was a coward who couldn't tell what he felt. He was a phobic.

He didn't mind his solitude though. It was his basic human needs that were the obstacles. Otherwise, he was good. Settled.

*-*-*-*-*

Ralph sat in near the window ledge. The cool breeze caressed his face as he delved himself into the words of "Jane Eyre". His mother called him for dinner already. But he was too zoned out to hear it. All his focus was on the world of Jane.

His mother was becoming anxious downstairs.

He hasn't been eating properly. All I ever see him doing is read sitting near that blasted window...or stare outside.

She sighed and shook her head. It's time to discuss about Ralph's life to his father. But, before that, she had to get Ralph have his meal.

*-*-*-*-*

Ralph was eating his dinner as quietly as possible. He wanted to slip away from his parents and sister as fast as he could. He didn't want to interact them. He didn't like to talk anymore, to any people. He thought it, social interaction, to be the cause of all problem.

They were eating in silence. To Ralph's family, the silence was suffocating, especially to Aoife. To Ralph, it was pleasant.

'So,' Ralph's father broke the silence, 'how's your work going, Raphy?' He asked to Ralph, who didn't hear his father talking at all!

He stared at Ralph intently, with an arched eyebrow. Ralph couldn't even feel his father was staring at him. He was busy in his own world, plotting his little escape from his parents, and devouring the baby corns.

'Umm, don't you think we need a bigger magnet to pull him, Aidan?' Ralph's mother suggested his father.

'What do you mean, Lilly?' Aidan asked back, not clearly understanding what she indicated.

'I meant that,' she sighed, 'we need to do something bigger to pull him back to earth.' She rolled her eyes, putting a spoonful of food in her mouth.

Aofie, snickered slightly at that.

Unfortunately, Ralph was still in his world. If he wouldn't have, then the consequences would have been relatively better.

'Oh.' Aidan understood. He took a deep breath and called, 'Ranulph!'

It worked. But the negative effects were more. It startled Ralph and the fork fell from his hand, down to the floor. He felt embarrassed and abruptly crouched down to grab that. When he was about to rise, his head collided with the edge of the table. A glass full of water fell right over his unfinished meal because of the force, dirtying everything. He was getting a bump on his head as a bonus.

Ralph felt his forehead swelling. He looked up at his family. Aofie was startled at first but then pursed her lips to stop herself from laughing. His parents were shocked by all the sudden events.

He finally proved to himself that he was an embarrassment to the society after all!

He hurriedly took the the plate and glass. He muttered a 'sorry' and rushed towards the kitchen to wash them. He prayed to God not to make him trip on any non-existent obstacles en route.

+-+-+-+-+
Hey everyone!

We're two cousins and we are writing a book together for the first time.

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter.

Erik & Lydia. (Those are our aliases. If you wonder that I am the great-great-great grandchild of THE Erik Lehnsherr...you're wrong. I apologise for that. Same thing is applicable for Lydia...*smiles sweetly*)

P.S. This story, is not for grammar Nazis. I'm so sorry, but I have endured the tortures of Nazis a lot. Hahaha!

We haven't edited this chapter...nor that it will be edited very soon. You will get mistakes here. Ignore those...or ignore the story...bye.

Erik.