Chapter Two: Worthless Life

Ralph scrubbed the plate with so much force that his hands hurt. Yet he didn't stop. He was channelling his anger, embarrassment and frustration through it. By the time he was done, his parents were already upstairs, busy discussing God knows what. Ralph knew it was about him. It had to be about him!

He sadly and silently walked to the front door, with a book and a packet of biscuit in hand. He was about to turn the metal knob when he heard the voice of a girl behind him.

'Where are you going?'

Ralph turned around slowly only to find his sister looking up at him with curious eyes.

'The docks.' he answered shortly, feeling uncomfortable and hoping she wouldn't tell his parents.

'Oh.' Aofie blinked. She didn't like that her brother didn't talk very much. Heck! He didn't even acknowledge her existence! It bothered her.

Ralph was always so confident and egoistic. Or at least in her mind that's what she thought was the reason why Ralph never talked to anyone. Because he was over confident and thought highly of himself.

'Okay then. I don't suppose mum or dad will mind.' Aofie replied.

Ralph only nodded, glad she didn't object. Glad she didn't judge his action.

He stepped out into the night. The moon was hiding behind the clouds. A refreshing breeze greeted him, slightly soothing down his self inflicted pain. He started walking using the footpath, occasionally glancing at the busy street.

Finally, he reached his destination, The Little Rock Harbour.

The harbour was a busy place filled with giant ships carrying massive amounts of cargo and equally massive amounts of people. It was one of the busiest harbours in the whole London. Ships crowded round the large iron docks. But Ralph didn't even spare them a glance. Instead he remained as far away as possible from the vessels and the crowds of people around them.

Suddenly, Ralph heard a small puppy barking near him. He knew who that bark belonged to. He then felt something nudging his feet. Looking down he was greeted by the sight of Peter, a small Jack Russell Terrier. It looked up at him with shining eyes.

Ralph smiled slightly at the puppy and bent down to pat its small head.

'Hello there, Peter. Always nice to see you.' he whispered to him and then started walking again at a slower pace, the puppy limping after him.

Ralph always felt bad about Peter. One of his legs were broken by some cruel scoundrel long before Ralph visited the dockyard. He felt sorry for Peter. He truly did feel sorry for his best friend.

Slowly the crowds got thinner until Ralph reached a wooden dock meant for smaller boats that stood out from the rest of the big iron docks.

He went to the very edge of the dock and sat down. He was joined by Peter, who laid down beside him. His tiny tail wagged and little pink tongue lolled out greedily.

Ralph looked at the dog and smirked at its greediness.

'Here you go, boy!' Ralph put a few biscuits down on the surface. Peter munched greedily on them.

'How was your day, Pete?' Ralph asked looking at the illuminated ships and bustling city on the other side of the river. He touched his bump on the forehead slightly and contorted in pain.

Peter barked loudly in response, signaling that his day went well. (As he could manage to put something in his stomach throughout the day.)

A ghost of a smile appeared on Ralph's face. 'Marvellous.'