Chapter Five: Hospital Drama

Ralph woke up to an annoying beeping sound. He opened his eyes...squinting as they adjusted to the light. The ceiling, the walls, everything, was white. There were a number of pipes attached to his body. At first, he was confused as to why he was there.... But then the events before he lost consciousness came rushing back.

Just then, the door clicked open, and in came Dr. O'Connor wearing his apron over a green shirt and trousers. Ralph wasn't expecting to see him. The doctor beamed at him.

'Hello, Ranulph. I see that your awake. How do you feel?'

'A bit dizzy but, otherwise fine.' Ralph said looking at the white sheets as if it was the most interesting thing in the whole galaxy. 

'H-how long was I out?'  He needed to know how much time he had wasted just trying to be brave.

'Well, you were out for seventy one hours. The amount of blood you lost was immense and so it took you a while.' the doctor replied as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

Ralph's eyes widened.

'Oh no! I was out for around three days! I am so bloody fired! Sacked! How could I let myself down like this! Horrible! I should have recovered faster! And I'm supposed to be strong! Why did I have to be so weak? I'm in a bloody mess right now!'

As he internally scolded himself, the doctor checked on his pulse.

'It's funny, you know, that by a huge strike of coincidence, both you and your sister were treated by me.' The doctor said looking slightly surprised.

'I know.' He murmured.

Ralph only stared at the sheets, still rebuking himself for being so bloody weak.

'Oh and your parents are here, I suppose I should send them.' With that, the doctor went out of the room. Seconds later, his mother burst hysterically into the room, followed by his grim father and sister.

He was instantly bombarded with concerned questions from his mother.

'Raphy! Oh my son! My baby! My sweet, sweet and sweet baby! Are you okay!? I was so worried! How are you feeling? Does it hurt? Do you remember who I am? Speak to me, son!'

Then her mother slapped him twice slowly to bring him back to the world.

Ralph blinked rapidly at all the questions... Before he could not or do anything to answer her, she had her arms wrapped round him in a tight hug. Ralph felt suffocated.

Mr. Murphy was in his suit. He looked angry at something. Aofie had no expression at all on her face. But inside, hurt, worry, grief and remorse was eating her up, but she managed to not show it. How she had no idea.

'I can't believe this Ranulph! How can you get hurt so easily? And how come are you always getting yourself into dangerous situations?! You should be more careful. You are almost always unwell and it's not right! After all you are thirty! A man! Not a boy.' Mr. Murphy said in a disturbed and annoyed tone.

Ralph only stared at his lap, silently agreeing with his father. He was weak, fragile, careless, and it seemed as if he had zero immunity.

'Aidan! He's just a boy! Oh Raphy! Why do you always have to be so...selfless, son? You make me worried sick! You are okay aren't you?' His mother asked again. Ralph nodded, his eyes still transfixed on the white sheets that lay on his lap.

'That's great, Ralph! Oh we forgot to tell you, your colleague... Mr. Smith was it? He's waiting outside for you. That man has been here ever since we arrived! The good fellow, he really is worried sick about you. We should go and call him inside.' His mother informed him. They left the room.