09. Bullies

Over the next two weeks, the ugliest, stupidest dispute swept the school. Excited by the prospect of prom in the Middle-of-Nowhere, Texas, the seniors decided to pick a theme. Tears were shed, friendships ruined as stupid ideas battled other stupid ideas for the chance to be the stupidest idea.

Finally, it was between A Night at the Oscars and Superhero Showdown. Girls wanted Oscar worthy dresses, boys wanted girls in skimpy superhero outfits.

Kathy didn't care much. She was still too busy being mortified over thinking Kyle had been in jail and actually letting it slip.

She was convinced the only reason the ground hadn't opened up to swallow her whole already was his reaction. He'd been amused. Sure, he made fun of her, but he hadn't gotten angry, hadn't walked away in a huff.

As she obsessed over the issue, she realized Donnie wouldn't have taken something like that so well. He would've been angry. Why wasn't Kyle? Sure, they hadn't spoken or seen each other since then, but it felt like they were okay when he left.

"Take that down!"

Kathy jumped. She had been absently watching a girl from her English class struggling to put up a poster supporting the superhero theme when the command had come.

Cecily marched down the hall, her high heel boots clicking on the tiles, two of her plastic friends in toe.

Poster girl jumped too, and dropped the thing. "Really?" she asked in a trembling voice that was at the same time filled with awe.

"Yes, really. Are you deaf or retarded? No one wants to see your stupid ideas plastered on the walls," Cecily snapped, folding her arms across her generous chest.

The girl just stared as if Cecily was a goddess and not a bully. "But I think getting dressed as superheroes would be awesome," she finally squeaked.

Kathy cringed and turned away. She didn't want to see this.

Cecily let out a cruel laugh. "You think? How adorable. People like you shouldn't think." She snapped her fingers. "Lucy, Mia!"

Kathy focused on the keypad of her locker, trying to zone out, but she clearly heard the poster ripping, grunting and Cecily's cronies sniggering. The girl screamed in surprise, and when Kathy peeked over her shoulder, she was rolled up in her own poster, while Cecily had a permanent marker in her hand and was twirling it around.

"What would teach you a lesson?" She turned to her friends, but their only input was a giggle. "I know."

She marched forward and started writing on the other girl's forehead. When she pulled back, the word Dumbass filled the girl's forehead.

"I don't mind a difference in opinions," Cecily said on a sugary tone, "but pathetic little girls like you need to know where they belong."

Kathy cringed again and she ached to go over and slap that annoying smirk off Cecily's face. You should! You're just sitting by and letting bullying take place. But standing up now would probably leave her tied up next to that poor girl. And she sure as hell didn't want that.

I'll get you one day, it's a promise, she thought, watching Cecily and her friends walking away, laughing about what they'd just done. Sighing, Kathy headed for the girl and started pulling at the poster, trying to unstick it.