18. Uncle Tom's Cabin

After an hour and a half of fast travel, Joey left the freeway and drove through a dusty old town until they reached a deserted road paved with gravel which wound its way through thick woods. About one mile of bumpy gravel road later, the forest opened up into a clearing and Kathy caught her first glimpse of the cabin.

It was a one story, medium sized house made entirely out of dark wood beams, and looked really inviting. Two huge windows flanked the door. Joey pulled the Camaro into an improvised parking lot filled with more gravel, and cut the engine.

"Welcome to uncle Tom's cabin," he announced.

"You're kidding," Kathy said while Kelly giggled.

"Nope. My uncle's name is actually Bartholomew, but everyone calls him Tom for some reason. Though with a name like Bartholomew, I'd probably go by any other name, however unrelated." He hopped out of the car.

The girls joined him outside as he fiddled with a large set of keys and finally managed to unlock the door.

"Ta da!" He waved his arms around the room once Kelly and Kathy stepped in.

The living room was a huge space with an open kitchen and just a narrow hallway leading to where Kathy supposed the bedrooms were. There was a fireplace in the back of the room, couches and armchairs fanned around a massive TV set and a full book case by the door.

The left side wall was made of glass, led to a patio and showed a view of a slope that led down to a lake surrounded by trees. Joey had been right. Everything was peaceful and beautiful.

As Kathy admired the paintings of forest scenery covering the walls, Joey went out to get the luggage and Kelly busied herself with checking the appliances in the kitchen.

"Everything looks freaking new," she mumbled, joining Kathy by the bookcase.

It did, and Kathy had to admit it was a nice surprise to have both outer beauty and inner comfort. They'd have a great time there.

"It's a lovely place. I'm glad I came with you," she said.

Kelly rubbed her arm, an apologetic smile on her face. As if she had something to feel sorry for. Kathy narrowed her eyes, but her question was interrupted by Joey who came in laden with luggage.

"Babe, you can take your stuff to the room on the right. Kay..." He swallowed heavily as though he knew that what came next would be dangerous. "How upset would you be if you had to sleep here? I promise the couch is very comfortable," he added quickly. "I spent countless nights on it when I came here with my folks."

Kathy's eyes widened. "Um, is there only one bedroom, or...?"

"There are two bedrooms, and normally you'd have the other one and Kyle would take the couch, except..." Joey's voice faded.

"Kyle might be coming with Cecily," Kelly whispered.

There were a few seconds of bliss left until their words registered. "What? And you decided to mention that now?" Kathy clenched her fists and turned away.

Of course they did. If Cecily's name would have been mentioned sooner, there was no way in hell she would've came along and they both knew it.