14. Exceptionally awkward

Kathy admired herself in the mirror as she got ready for her double date and sighed.

Kelly was right. She had killer legs. Why should she always hide them under jeans? Annoyed with her stupid lack of confidence, she pulled off her jeans, changed her underwear from cotton briefs to something lacy, and pulled out a short, silky dress with a plunging neckline and a colorful, geometric pattern.

She was sick of dressing to appease Donnie's height and jealousy. And after what had happened earlier that day, she was frankly sick of him as a whole. If he wanted a show, she'd give him one. Four inch heels included.

So what if a few guys will turn their heads and maybe look at her? She'd show Cecily she wasn't just a boring school girl.

As she looked in the mirror, Kathy raised her chin and turned her head. She looked beautiful and stylish and confident. And that's who she wanted to be, not someone who got bullied by her own boyfriend. Sort of boyfriend. She needed to have a chat with dear ole Donnie. Signing her up for a double date without consulting her first was a bad move.

She trotted down the stairs and stopped in the kitchen where her mom was making dinner.

"I'm going out," she announced.

Cassandra raised her eyes from chopping up onions and her mouth feel open. "Kathy, that dress. It looks gorgeous on you! I'm so glad you're finally wearing it."

Kathy blushed and sat on a stool at her mom's indication. She hoped her mom wouldn't grill her too much to find out what she was up to, but she did need to ask for cash.

"So," Cassandra asked, chopping away. "What's the occasion?"

"Donnie and I are going to Verdi's. It was sort of my idea and it's a fancy place, so can I get some cash to pay for my meal?"

"That's nice. Sure, grab a fifty from my purse. You and Donnie deserve a nice evening out. But don't forget that it's a school night, so you kids be home before midnight. And..." She stopped chopping and looked at Kathy, the concern obvious in her eyes. "Have you heard from William lately?"

Kathy frowned. "No. Why?" Her brother had been gone for almost a month, but it wasn't the first time he was away that long.

"I just keep calling and it goes straight to voicemail." Her mom wiped her eyes, but whether it was from the onions or worry for William, Kathy couldn't tell. "Anyway, you have fun tonight."

"Thanks, Mom." Kathy hopped off the stool and headed out, a heavy weight in her stomach. She hoped nothing had happened to her brother.

🧩🧩🧩

The way to the restaurant had been extremely awkward and Kathy promised herself to seriously look into getting a car. She was used to Donnie driving her around, but that had to stop. He'd glared at her the entire ride, as if her dress offended him. She'd kept her mouth shut too, looking away from him pointedly.

Finally, Donnie parked his Corolla in front of Verdi's, cut off the engine and heaved a deep sigh. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," Kathy answered stiffly. She would have appreciated the compliment more if he hadn't sounded like he was doing her a favor by saying it.

"I hope we'll have a good time."

Yeah, the likelihood of that happening was in the vicinity of zero. "Don't worry. I won't embarrass you in front of them. I know how to pretend to be civil."

"I mean it." He took her hands. "We're supposed to be starting over and I really want this to work. We're so good together."

"If you want this to work, stop being a jealous ass." She pulled her hands away. "Stop speaking for me. And especially stop disregarding my opinion."