28. Much Ado about Kyle and Cecily

Kyle didn't know how to feel about Cecily. Their first interaction before they had to get to class consisted of her asking if he got her text and asking to meet him later.

Yes, he did get it, but after almost two weeks of total silence, he didn't feel like answering right away, especially with Kay there.

Which was not what should feel wrong. The lack of guilt or any mixed feeling over what happened over the weekend confused him more. To be honest, he and Kay had crossed some lines that he shouldn't have. All the words coming out wrong, turning into innuendo when they were just friends and he was supposed to be helping her get back on her feet. Not stare at her boobs or fantasize about kissing her.

And despite all that, the guilt was directed at his disrespect for his friendship with Kay, not towards his supposed relationship with Cecily. He'd expected the break from her to illuminate him, but all it did was prove that he felt the same with or without her. At least for short periods of time.

It was a warning. A damn, oh so obvious warning. Maybe it was time to move on from this.

As he walked towards the art department after his last class, he seriously wondered if he should make the break permanent.

He entered the room to find Cecily already there and pacing. She wore jeans for once and a see-through black sweater over a tank top. She stopped when she caught sight of him.

"I thought you wouldn't come."

"Why wouldn't I come?" he asked, surprised.

"I don't know. Maybe because I royally screwed up." Cecily dropped on a chair and waved towards the empty one in front of her.

Kyle would've rather kept standing, but he shrugged and took a seat. "Before we start anything, I want to apologize for not texting you back. On a break or not, it was rude." Even if she hadn't showed him the same courtesy.

Cecily nodded. "The thing is, I think this was a mistake."

Kyle titled his head, waiting for her to go on.

"I mean," she continued. "Boys usually chase me, not the other way around. You're the first guy I've actually approached because you looked so sad that night." She smiled weakly. "But you're so different and then I thought a break would be a good idea to show you what you're missing."

Problem was, he hadn't really missed anything. "So you didn't mean that."

She shook her head. "I thought I did, but I missed you. It's even harder when you're actually here. I just realize that I don't want a break from you."

He felt like letting out a hysterical laugh. "You just want me to chase you."

"Yes, and you should. Because I'm worth it." She winked.

Okay, she was adorable when she was so childish yet self-confident. In truth, he never had. It had been her making the first move and him accepting it. He'd never actively persued her.

"So, what should I do when I catch you?"

"You've already caught me and you saw how good it is. But I'm running away again so you can see what you're missing." She leaned closer to him, a devilish smile on her face. "So I won't kiss you again until you've earned it."

Even if he didn't plan on chasing her any time soon, there was something in her tone, a challenge he couldn't ignore, and he was brought back to the night they'd gotten together.

~

It had been two months since Chloe left, and Kyle couldn't say he felt any better. He missed her, and not because they'd had the love story of the century. He didn't think he even loved her to begin with. But they'd been great friends, their conversations thought-provoking and diverse. Challenging. She'd left behind a silence that tore through him.