44. Right in Front of You

Kay didn't think this day could get any better. It all started with Kyle's kiss that morning, went on with the perfect prom, and now Donnie was back, sane and sober. Her Donnie.

Of course he'd give him ten minutes to talk. She wanted to let him know that she'd grown, that she was happy and that there was room in her life for him. Then he could tell her about his progress and maybe join her at the prom where they could share a dance for old times' sake.

Things couldn't be better.

She'd put on a pair of skinny jeans and an off-the-shoulder blue silk top, because he wanted to give Kyle the chance to kiss her shoulder again if he'd want to, kept the stilettos on, and was reapplying some lipgloss when there was a knock on the door.

Donnie had just left, but maybe he'd changed his mind about going down together. And he kept knocking.

"Hold on, Mr. Impatient. We've got enough time." She yanked the door open and the smile froze on her face.

It wasn't Donnie. It was Kyle. And he looked pissed which pretty much killed the possibility that he might not have seen her ex coming out of her room. Well, shit. All her butterflies fizzled and died.

Kyle moved past her and stopped in the middle of the room before turning to her. "I'm either drunk, high or really need glasses, because I think I saw Donnie coming out." His tone wasn't belligerent, but it wasn't friendly either.

Kay sighed and closed the door. She had absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. "You don't drink, I personally didn't slip you anything, and you don't need glasses. Yes, Donnie was here."

He crossed his arms over his chest, not looking any happier. "What did he want?"

"To talk. I'm actually going to meet him down right now."

"Are you serious?"

Okay, now he was getting annoying. He didn't own her. She didn't have to report to him. "Yes, I'm serious. What? Got a problem with it?"

"I'm just trying to understand what you're thinking."

God, she hated how cold his tone was, how demanding he was. He seemed an entirely different person from the guy who'd made her laugh all evening, danced with her, who'd kissed her shoulder fifteen minutes ago.

"Donnie's back to normal. He's all better now. He's my oldest friend and I want to keep him in my life."

Kyle quirked a brow. "Your oldest friend," he said flatly. "That's funny, because that smug smirk he gave me made me think that he finally got in your pants."

"Kyle!"

"He doesn't want to be your friend, Kay. He'll try to worm his way back with you."

Anger gripped Kay, making her fists ball and her stomach clench uncomfortably. He was ruining everything. "We're not getting back together. He knows we broke up and he respects my decision. What?" she asked annoyed, because he'd just huffed.

"When has Donnie ever respected your decisions? When has he ever respected you?"

She cringed because it hurt. And also because it could be true. Her pleasant buzz had died, leaving her facing a side of Kyle she didn't like much. The smug know-it-all.