[4] Restless

Wess sat in the darkness of Tamberlain's western watchtower flipping and rolling a dagger from one hand to the other trying to make out whether the shadow in the long-standing grass was Man, animal, or just a rock. Perhaps it's a rock Man? he thought. It grew more and more difficult for him to see in the moonlight's pale glow and the light from the road below him threw off any normal night vision. He sheathed his dagger and removed a brown leather case from one of his belt pouches. He made sure the Watchman sitting next to him noticed. He untied the case and inside was a pair of spectacles. The lenses were long and rectangular with a blue tint and wire arms that curved around his ears.

The Watchman gave him a curious look. "What are those now?"

"These? You wouldn't have any interest, friend." Wess straightened the wire arms a bit and made sure the lenses were nice and clean before he put them on. He pressed the braids on the sides of his head and cinched the leather band holding his long brown hair back a little tighter so the man could get a close look at his glasses. "Much better." He gazed out the watchtower rubbing at his smooth, pointed chin. It was unfortunate his Fae family did not give him ability to see in the dark, or any magic abilities that he knew of, but his glasses worked as an ample substitute.

"Let me have a look through those," said the Watchman, just a young Man of sixteen or seventeen.

"Oh, no. I'm afraid they wouldn't work at all. You see the magic is bound to me and me alone."

"Magic?"

"That's right, my young friend. Magic." Wess puffed up his chest. "The person who puts them on first, well, it only works for them." He gazed out into the night seeing the world now in a tint of blue with the birds and small animals different shades of red and orange.

"Maybe I could just try?"

"Sorry, no."

The Watchman gave him a sideways glance and went back to watching the tree line.

Wess saw movement in the brush. His Barbarian friend came tearing out of the long grass at a full sprint as a giant mass of red muscle and speed.

The Faeling said, "That's him. No trailers. It's safe."

"Don't shoot!" hailed the Watchman.

"Don't shoot!" they heard another. "Open the gate! It's Haygen the Wanted."

Wess slid down the ladder of the watchtower and darted through the lamp-lit road toward the mended gate. Men of the Watch who made improvised cover from empty wine barrels lowered their crossbows. Dogs on leashes barked, but their handlers held the leashes tight. A crowd gathered around Haygen as he made it through the gate. An Elf gave him a waterskin and the big Half-orc heaved in and out trying to catch his breath. Families of the taken attacked him with an onslaught of questions.

"Did you find my daughter?" said one Man. "She's but ten!"

"Did you see my little girl...with raven hair?" a Laquarrin She-elf asked.

"Alright," said Haygen. "Give me air!" He drained the waterskin empty and finally recovered his breath. "Where's Wesley?"

"Here," said the Faeling standing just outside the ring of the townsfolk. He watched the people of Tamberlain clinging to hope around his large green friend. Wess didn't search for hope. He merely gathered information from all around him, always training to be a more efficient killer. At this moment he struggled to pick out possible spies of the opposition, for there would surely be one or two, and they would want to know what his companion found. He couldn't pin any down at the moment, but he made note of them all.

"There is sign...I marked it," Haygen said. "I found no one. I'm sorry. Best go back to your homes."

The crowd dispersed slowly in sobs thanking Haygen. He shook his head and tossed the waterskin behind him.

Wess raised his hands in an understanding gesture. "Thought I'd have to drag you out of the wood in a little while there." They clasped forearms. Haygen's giant hand engulfed the small Faeling's elbow.

The Barbarian just nodded without replying to the jest.

"You didn't go into the wood, did you?"

Haygen said nothing. He just stared off into space.

"Alright, we'll get you to Kayla. She's resting from the battle. Come on then."

Wess led him back to Otis' cottage and to the Wizard's room. "Kayla, open up it's me. Haygen's returned. He needs you."

The Elf opened her door wearing a simple gold sleeping gown. Her silver hair fell over her shoulders. As always, she looked refreshed and ready for the day.

"Haygen?" she touched his face. "Was he in the woods? I told him not to. You heard me say it, right Wess? I told him not to."

"You told him not to," he agreed, "and of course he did it anyway." Wess led him to the reading chair. "Sit down you big oaf."

"Kragg," whispered the Half-orc as he sat down in the chair. "Kragg the Bloody."

The She-elf smiled. "Not Kragg. Not anymore." She curled two fingers and pressed them to his forehead. She whispered an incantation and Haygen drifted off into a deep sleep. Next, she selected a white stone from one of her pouches and cast another spell as she held the stone tight. "Travartelius." She closed her eyes and held the rock for a long while, then opened the nearest window and threw it into the back field. "We'll just let him rest here, Wess. In the morning, come back and we'll leave for..."

"We'll go after them." The Assassin smiled in understanding. "I know. You get some rest too. We're going to need it."

Kayla smiled and nodded, "You too."

Wess left the room and took a few steps down the hall. Then, without a sound, he found a comfortable spot in the common room. He drew one of his daggers...one he'd lifted from the guard in the watchtower...and rolled it and spun it in his hands getting used to the balance and feel of it. He was just hours from an adventure and could barely contain himself.

A/N- Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the latest. Feel free to comment below!  Hit that star if you enjoyed!