[17] The Temple of Dakadihm

The trail leading from the vault looked to be many years old with deep wagon ruts that weaved through the Whispering Woods like a corrupt artery. Tall, dark grass and thorny weeds covered what could almost be called a road because of its width and wide arcs.

Wess took the lead with stealthy steps wishing he could move much farther ahead of the stompers. It wasn't their fault that they walked like Giants, but it made him cringe at times. Each crashing step betrayed their passage through the woods. Still, he carried on keeping an ever-watchful eye as his friends followed. He kept his daggers at the ready with the powerful poison already applied.

Haygen took the opportunity to rough out the unknown landscape by mapping with a bit of coal on scraps of linen as they hiked. He constantly checked his bearings, making sure the road stayed on a northbound heading. The Half-orc was a gifted mapmaker and a fair artist at that. Some of his better sketches were known to fetch near one gold crown! Raymarn convinced him to take up the art in order to balance his rage and destruction with something beautiful and creative. His warmaster said that was how a man-of-arms stayed sane.

Otis' body resisted each step. He felt this journey nearing its end and his body body told him as such. He discovered newfound aches in his bones every day since he departed Tamberlain. He loved this life of adventure, but he would gladly give his life in exchange for any one of the captives should it come to that.

Kayla leaned on her staff with one hand and the other was held out in front of her as she moved in concentration letting her elegant spell work. The butterflies fluttered here and there and she grew fond of seeing the stark contrasting color. The only problem being they made the woods look that much fouler.

At long last, the thick wilderness broke into a wide clearing presenting an all-encompassing backdrop of the Wolf Cry Mountains. The massive gray mountains wore white snow caps and the highest jagged peaks touched the heavy white clouds. Blue sky cut through the valleys. On the far side of the range lay the frozen tundra where only the hardiest of species dwelt.

Their exhilaration halted abruptly, for hewn into the base of the mountain stood a black, vile temple of eldritch architecture that froze the very marrow of the four companions. For all their explorations and all the lands they traveled, never had they witnessed such a foreboding structure. Dark, cracking pillars jutted from the earth at random angles. A round, primeval amphitheater encircled a bed of slate stained with gore that appeared to be the stage for a grotesque vigil. An unnatural shadow was cast over the temple which seemed to be work of dark magic. Black iron pots birthed green flames that burned eerily for illumination. The pots were placed in abstract positions that were nonsensical and added chaos to the morose scene.

A set of wide stone steps climbed from the amphitheater floor to unknown depths of the mountain's innards. Torches of green fire were fixed at the entrance. An enormous spiked gate shackled by massive iron chains blocked the entrance to the temple's vile mouth. They could hardly make out armed sentries in portholes around the gaping portal. They carried spears, shields, and wore armor that was black as night.

Long chasms formed at random  before the temple, but from where the companions stood they could not tell their depth. Well-fed Vultures perched on the edges waiting for an easy meal.  Looming over the amphitheater stood erect a massive statue of a dark hooded figure wielding a long, wicked scythe, no doubt in tribute to the god of Death...Dakadihm.

After the initial shock, the Wizard did not fare well. The sight of the temple snapped Kayla's concentration and her protection spell broke, which decimated the purple winged insects. Their corpses blew off in a strong gust of northern wind. Had the companions still been in the woods and not in the clearing, the Tenchi spirits would have trapped their minds once again. This time, though, luck favored them. She vomited after a moment spilling remains of jerked meat and a brown lacquer to the rocky floor before them. She took a swig of warm water, then swished and spit the taste from her mouth. She wrung her hands on her magical staff, leaning on its great power like a crutch. She cast her eyes back at the temple in the distance. The horror made her immediately open her spell book. With all the time studying and learning the ways of magic, she felt like an inadequate first year beginner. I have not prepared for this, she thought as she flipped through the worn pages. I have not prepared for this. She stared at the ancient words, yet read none of them.

The giant Barbarian felt a pang in his heart and took a knee. His lips moved in silent prayer to his mother's god, Adrunnah. His grip on Icefang felt weak and clammy and he broke out in a sweat though he felt quite cool.

Wess found the reactions of Kayla and Haygen a bit unnerving. "So that's what a Dragon horde buys you," said the Faeling, "I think I would have gone a different way."

The quip fell silent.

To the hardened soldiers, Otis and Wess looked shocked for a moment, but the horror soon resided. Otis found faith in Panadahe, and the Assassin fell back on his relentless discipline.

One by one the companions did what they had always relied on in the past and looked to their leader.

"What do we do, Otis?" Kayla quivered. "What ever do we do?"

Otis gave a squinting smile. His black beard guarded the majority of his face forcing his eyes to represent his expressions. As of now, they spoke of hope. "Rise, Kayla Windshaper...member of the Order of Fire." He outstretched a strong hand. The She-elf reluctantly took it. "You are my friend. I will not let anything happen to you." He pulled her to her feet and she blinked a little in a fluster. A smirk spread across her beautiful face. Her blue color returned and her silver hair seemed to glow a bit more. Her shoulders rolled back.

The Dwarf held out his other hand for Haygen. The giant's muscles flexed as he clasped his friend's hand with a thunder. The Dwarf helped him up best he could. Then he let go and splayed out the Barbarian's green palm exposing his self-inflicted wound. "This, I believe means something to you?"

"Yes," Haygen whispered. The blood oath he swore to avenge his teacher's death.

"Well does it, or not?" asked the Dwarf.

"Yes," Haygen said a bit louder.

With great will and possibly the help of the gods, Otis Stonesinger pushed and drove Haygen back a full pace. "DOES IT, OR NOT?" He stood tall as the General now, in command of his soldiers.

"Yes! Dag!"

Otis clutched the Barbarian's hard-boiled leather chest piece and shook it. "You are Wanted. You are Wanted by your friends here and now. Yes?"

"Yes, Otis. I am Wanted," repeated Haygen.

The Dwarf let him go and nodded at the three of them whose attention he held fast like a goat in the jaws of a Dragon. "We will investigate. We will not go in blindly." He looked to Wesley and rested his hand on his shoulder. "Lad?"

"Your will, my blade." The Faeling's face looked cold and focused. Battle ready, he became the silent reaper.

He actually started to frighten Kayla a bit. She thought he might do something...rash.

The Dwarf gave him a sly look. "Come nightfall, Wesley, I was hoping you could do something for me."

A/N - Creepy! I do hope you enjoyed this chapter. I tried to get it just right. Thank you so much for following along on this quest!