[25] Help!

A/N: Please check out the video at the end of the chapter after you read.  It's pretty cool and my inspiration for this chapter and a couple others.  Thanks!

Previously:  Otis looked back at Kayla and said, "Wizard! They have us! Prepare your three fire spells! We will not survive if we do not retreat!"

Kayla's heart sank. She would rather perish during a fight than burn the trees, but she remembered the bigger picture once more. She brought her fire staff up into the air and stabbed it into the earth. The red crystal beamed and lit up like a torch of clean, magical fire. The fire was the true color of flame. The red and orange waves were beautiful, nurturing, and destructive as nature intended.

The Wizard spread her hands and raised her staff high and wide. As she began her spell, an icy hand rested on her shoulder.

Kayla spun and leaped back, wary of the thing that penetrated her defenses.  She brought her staff up in a defensive posture settling into the fourth position of her combat stances. She expected a knife to be thrust into her back by an enemy. Instead, an undead Warrior stood before her, like those they fought days ago in the woods—an ancient Tenchi Elf of time long passed. Though, this one bore bright Elven armor constructed of metal leaves. On its head, it wore a thin shiny helm that swooped smoothly around its horrific skull. Its eyes glowed in magnificent white light. It wielded a mighty longbow inlaid with golden runes of ancient magic.  A golden disk with an array of copper, gold and silver streaks portrayed a shining sun. There stood the undead form of Furhede the Slayer wielding his bow, Sunstriker! Behind Furhede, moving up the mound and around it, swarmed an entire company of over two hundred skeletal Warriors armed and ready to do battle. As the sun set into a blood red sky, Kayla recoiled at the sight.

The Wizard collected her senses and nodded a quick bow.  She spoke out in the ancient Tenchi language. "Help us, please!"

Furhede uttered one guttural word. "Help."

"Don't hurt my friends," Kayla warned. Her eyes keen and battle hardened.

The Slayer answered with action as he brought up Sunstriker to a firing position and drew it back. No string graced his bow. By ancient magic, a glowing arrow as bright and yellow as the sun appeared as the bow flexed back. The Archer let loose and thin streams of sunlight sailed with a brilliant trail of stardust and struck an Orc attacking Haygen.

Furhede spoke again to Kayla, "Help." The Archer looked back at his undead Tenchi warriors, raised a bony arm and flung it forward to the battle. Its bony jaw dropped low and let out a chilling battle cry that cut through the air and frightened everything in all of the Whispering Woods.

The skeleton army drew ancient blades, hefted archaic shields and marched into the fray in practiced form. One by one Valon's men saw the undead creatures approach and stark fear clutched them. They stopped attacking Otis and Haygen and started defending themselves from the skeletons.

Furhede stood eerily heroic next to Kayla on the mound using the elevated position to rain down his deadly sun arrows that flew in blinding yellow lights. Kayla cast her final spells that were fiery tentacles that wrapped around her foes and held them in burning clutches until they perished.  

[][][]

Wess sprinted between the winding trees on the outskirts of the battle performing his own flanking maneuver. On he strode until he reached the rear ranks where he set his sights on his target—the enemy commander. The commander wore heavy armor across his back, so a rear attack seemed impossible. His decision appeared to be made for him when he saw the four Orc guards. Luckily they all faced down range toward the battle as expected.