[10] Madness in the Woods (Part 3)

Kayla pulled her hair as her throat tightened and new tears flowed. She laid flat on the forest ground, reached wide with her arms and pulled dirt and grass into a mound to embrace it. Why do the woods ache so? she wondered. Pain and sadness flowed through the woods like water feeding life through its roots. Why did I not feel it before? Her grimy hands searched and found her amulet. Master's ward protects me from this darkness.

The wind picked up and started to slowly whirl around her. Dead leaves and butterflies alike began to spin. Sticks and twigs lifted up into the air as the whirlwind spun faster and faster still. At last, the dead debris and dirt molded a figure that now stood erect before her. The figure clutched a long stick like a walking staff.

The wind blew into Kayla's ears and carried the voice of the spirit before her. 

"What is your purpose here, Wizard," said the spirit. "Why do you enter our home?"

The feminine voice sounded shrill and it echoed in Kayla's mind. It spoke the Elvish tongue, but an ancient dialect.

Kayla clutched her amulet as she spoke. She rubbed the magic runes and the octagonal edges. "We seek only safe passage. Our intentions are honorable."

The figure seemed to debate her words before saying, "I am Farashaye of the Tenchi tribe." Then it bowed. Its mouth moved even though it lacked teeth and lips.

Kayla scanned the whole scene before her looking for additional threats. Otis rolled on the ground, screaming long gasps of agony. Wesley's left arm and chest lay covered in blood as he cut himself relentlessly with a small dagger mouthing names as he sliced. Haygen wore a mask of fear, or at least she thought it was—she had never witnessed fear in the large tribesman. Her friends were reliving nightmares just as they all had done those three years ago. She ground her teeth and clenched her fists. She had to maintain strength now. She would find her answers even if it meant her death. All of her time in the towers led up to this moment.

The Wizard slowly stood proud and tall using her staff to hold herself upright. After taking a few deep breaths she finally said, "I am named Kayla Windshaper from the Kingdom of Kowluun. I am Member of the Mystic Order of Fire and the arcane towers of Ulmaka."

"You speak our tongue."

"I speak many languages, but I am familiar with ancient Tenchi," Kayla said as she sought to find the dialect in the voice's intonation. "The tribe of woodland Elves native to this land long ago."

"You have traveled far," said the spirit. "The towers in the Sea of Sand are known to us."

The Wizard said, "I have traveled far, but we assist those in need,"

Farashaye glanced back at Otis, Haygen, and Wess. "Your companions grow weak. I see even you hold by just a thread. Though in your heart lies a great battle."

Kayla nodded. "Yes. I lost my true love to this...place." Her words faded as she spoke. "He was a good man...much better than I will ever be." Her heart decayed like a dying star as she spoke the words aloud. Gods, it is true, though. Aonghus was her shining Knight and there would never be another.

Farashaye kept moving more with the wind. Bits of leaves flew from her body, but more blew back into it keeping a solid mass. "I sense fire in you."

"Yes," Kayla smiled and her lip quivered a bit. "Fire is the weakness of the tree." She clung to that knowledge like a gift. How did this spirit know these things? she wondered. Right now it mattered not. "And I'm afraid."

The spirit said, "You are afraid that if your friends die here, now, that you will burn the trees."

"Yes. All the trees of this wood—no matter the cost." She ducked her head, her hood covering her shame.